Embedded prog: V PLC prog: futures.

G
Hi,

I'm trying to enter the control field straight from college but not sure
which way to go on this.It appears that PLC type work is very interesting
and creative and part of the whole controls scene which also involves
hardware application as part of it.Having said that it is also the case that
everything within a PLC depends upon an embedded controler within it and
that is true of every control device be it a PLC or what ever.
Control methods come and go but Embedded chips or programming will
invariably form the basis forever.
Simply my question is this.

Is there a better more secure long term well paid carreer in writing
Embedded software?

Is there a better more secure long term well paid carreer in writing
Embedded software?

Well, in my opinion, No. If you want a secure, long term, well paid career, you need to be a bit flexible. Specializing in one and only one thing won't do (unless perhaps you are a neurosurgeon).

If you are wondering about writing the actual 'Operating system' code for PLC's, or for dedicated, embedded micro-controllers, there are definately openings in those fields, but not as many as there are in applying the hardware in the field.

There are no 'right answers' that apply to everyone however. Try to get some field experience in several paths, then make a decision.

I would also say No. I just think the work is a little bit different for each, the security and pay seem to be about the same.

Most embedded applications are for product type engineering. Something that you work on and refine over the long term until you switch to another product. PLCs can be also. But, alot of PLC work is for individual machine control. Each project is different. You may work on several different machines or control systems per year. So its not just a preference of which hardware/software you like to work with, its also the type of work.

There is a lot of embedded software engineering jobs available. You'll find openings with manufacturers of televisions, stereos, kitchen appliances, automotive electronics, etc. primarily in the consumer market. My brother once had a job in which the team he worked with developed a programmable hearing aid and the team had a individual that was responsible for programming the tiny microcontroller.

I'm not sure of what your education covers but you may want to check out employment services like monster to get an idea.