PLC Virgin

tsg

We have a customer who currently uses a Omron C200H MR431 connected to a modem in turn is conncected to a scanner. I have no knowledge about PLCs other than what I have learned from your informative site. If we were to eliminate the wired scanner and replace it with a wireless scanner is there a way to eliminate the modem or do we need to send scanned bar code data to a PC then in turn to the modem to initiate the PLC. Not sure if this makes sense so any help to get me going in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Take it easy on me I am a virgin. If I need to be more specific let me know.
Thanks

A little more specific would be good. Let me see if I understand your current setup.

Bar Code Scanner -> Modem -> PLC

And you want to do something like this?

Wireless Scanner -> PLC

That about right?

The way I understand is that they currently have a scanner (RS 232 connection) connected to what they called a "Black Box Modem" > PLC

I think what we would do is have a wireless handheld device > access point > Host PC > not sure but have the PC send the data/command to the PLC.

The PLC currently intiates a light based on the bar code scanned.

How about this. Is there a way to talk directly to the "Black Box Modem"?
I am currently waiting for a response from customer for information on the "Black Box Modem"