Quick questions regarding RSViewSE

ckchew666

Hi,

I've some doubts regarding RSView SE Server. There are sell in terms of 25 display (min) to unlimited.

1) If I've 2 client to access the server at the same time, where my project has 100 display, so the server must have a RSView SE with 100 displays or 200 displays?

2) RSView SE 3.1 comes with RSLinx Exterprise bundle, so do I still need other RSLinx, like Pro or gateway?

Thx in advance.

1) You only need a 100 Display Server license. The license determines how many displays the server will support, not how many clients read them.

2) RSView SE is up to version 3.2, make sure you start there. I'm not sure which Linx Enterprise bundle you mean, RSView SE will allow one instance of RSLinx to run on the computer hosting the HMI server.

It pretty much does require RSLinx Enterprise to be installed, though not necessarily used. If you want to use RSLinx on any computer but the server, or RSLinx Enterprise on any computer, you need authorizations for each deployment.

I think if all youare doing is using RSView SE to serve pages then no you should not need another RSLinx version. If the PC's are going to be used as HMI's than yes you will need RSLinx Pro or Gateway.

As far as I know about RSLogix - Use RSLinx enterprise in RS View ME applications only and use RS Linx lite in SE applications.

RSLinx Enterprise is only used by RSView Studio for communications inside of Studio. To use a runtime license to access multiple points you have to use an OPC enabled version of RSLinx. Linx Lite will not do the trick.

RSLinx Enterprise is the "next-generation" version of RSLinx (do a Ctrl-Alt-Del and open the task manager; you'll find RSLinxNG !) which is optimsed for communication between FactoryTalk-enabled products and ControlLogix.

If you're talking to A-B controllers with an SE system then you do not need any other version of RSLinx, OPC-enabled or otherwise (unless you want to use the ActiveX faceplates from Logix5000, but that's another story!). Other OPC servers can be used to access non A-B controllers and RSLinx "classic" can be used in addition to RSLinx Enterprise.

Within ME it's more restricted. RSLinx Enterprise is needed to configure the CE-based drivers for the PV+ although Kepware also produce CE-based drivers for access to other hardware.

NOP said:
RSLinx Enterprise is the "next-generation" version of RSLinx (do a Ctrl-Alt-Del and open the task manager; you'll find RSLinxNG !) which is optimsed for communication between FactoryTalk-enabled products and ControlLogix.

If you're talking to A-B controllers with an SE system then you do not need any other version of RSLinx, OPC-enabled or otherwise (unless you want to use the ActiveX faceplates from Logix5000, but that's another story!). Other OPC servers can be used to access non A-B controllers and RSLinx "classic" can be used in addition to RSLinx Enterprise.

Within ME it's more restricted. RSLinx Enterprise is needed to configure the CE-based drivers for the PV+ although Kepware also produce CE-based drivers for access to other hardware.

So as a summary we can say that, RSView SE Server installed into the Server must have RSLinx Enterprise (bundle with RSView SE Server), while the clients connected to the server also need RSLinx Enterprise (I assume it's bundle with RSView SE Client).

For RSView ME, RSLinx Enterprise is used (Bundle).

So, if the application/project required ActiveX & OPC, we'll need to get the RSLinx Classic to run parallel with RSLinx Enterprise (bundle).

I do not notice RSView SE has version 3.2, I just check from the website last 2 days ago, it's still version 3.1

Correct me if I'm wrong. Thx.

OK, for a short summary:

If your servers are talking to A-B products you can use RSLinx classic or Enterprise but Enterprise is generally better. If you want to use the Logix ActiveX faceplates (not ActiveX in general) then you'll need classic for the tags that populate the faceplate only.

If you're talking to non A-B controllers then you'll be using OPC.

Clients don't use any version of RSLinx 'cos they talk to Servers, not PLC's.
For ME it's Enterprise or any suitable OPC drivers that compile on CE.

I think that covers it......

NOP said:
OK, for a short summary:

If your servers are talking to A-B products you can use RSLinx classic or Enterprise but Enterprise is generally better. If you want to use the Logix ActiveX faceplates (not ActiveX in general) then you'll need classic for the tags that populate the faceplate only.

If you're talking to non A-B controllers then you'll be using OPC.

Clients don't use any version of RSLinx 'cos they talk to Servers, not PLC's.
For ME it's Enterprise or any suitable OPC drivers that compile on CE.

I think that covers it......

Thx for ur info, i'm clear now :) Appreciate that!