Overseas expenses and wages

We have in the past and currently are doing alot
of work in Asia. I just want to get an idea what
other U.S. companies give their employees for such
travel. For example do you fly coach or business?
Do you geta per diem rate for the hotel and meals
or just get reimbursed at cost? Extra Pay? etc....
The only way we know if we are get a fair deal
is ask other contractors/companies what they get
when we are at the jobsite.

It all depends on the company you work for, and what exactly you're doing.

As a technician, I got $450 dollars a day, $25 dollar a day safety bonus.
We recieved per diem (per drinkum) when the project was remote, but then it later moved to another location with a company owned hotel, we then just kept reciepts (no more per drinkum).
The actual PLC programmer recieved a little more than I did, because he was specialized.

We were also required to stay 6 weeks at a time until the project was complete.

I do the original PLC/HMI programming , startups , troubleshooting ,
instrumentation , training , electric/electronics , etc. Sounds
like I am getting a little "short changed". We do not even come
close to that $450.00 a day mark ( does that include overtime? ).
At the most with 2-3 hours overtime I would say an average
is $250.00 a day. Most of our work is in China now. How much
per diem did you recieve?

The $450 dollars a day was a day rate for a 12 hr workday. We received $110 a day for per diem.

You also should realize, this was an oil industry job, on a very large oil find. They pay quite a bit to expedite.
The per diem was funny because a hotel in Russia (ostrekahn) was around $20 dollars a night. I could spend about $50 a week for food.

My USA (not quite Fortune 500) company charges $1250 a day no matter where we go. We don't work more than 10 hours a day unless there's a very good reason.

Previous small company I was with, charged $800/day to the same place. The trips consisted of 2-3 weeks each time.

When I went to Asia last year I brought along a fellow Controls Engineer as it was a two man job and paid him $800 a day. We both have over 25 years experience in the the field.

When I was on my own, I would charge $100/hour for startup out of town.

We fly Buisness class for International travel from the East Coast. We charge for B.I.S. / travel time since it takes 28 hours to get there.

No per diem, just reasonable expenses, ie. I don't spend any of MY money unless it's for extracurricular stuff. Mabe.

I have work for two piece can plant in vietnam. We do PLC programming and machine start-up. They pay us 700 US$ per 10 hours, for overtime, weekend and holydays will be charged separatly. Expenses is 40 dollars for vietnam area.

ENlightened

Thanks for the information. I have 21 years experience
in the field. It sounds like our road people should be getting
a little bit more compensated for our overseas work. If
anyone else has some more information on this subject
please post it. Also does anyone have an idea what the
average per diem rate for a room and food is in Shanghai,
China? Thanks!

I only go to Belgium and Germany at my current job, but while I'm there - hotel, rental car, airfare, transportation to and from the airport are paid for by the company. I get 50 euro/day for dinner in the evenings and whatever else I want to do. I only do 'tourist' things on the weekends since the workdays are so long and usually bring money back.
Oh yea and I expense meals at the airports, unexpected flight changes, hotel (if I get stuck overnight somewhere like it looks like I will tonight) long term parking at my airport of origin and mileage to and from airport in my vehicle.

Regards,

Chris

Don't mean to high jack 31415927's thread but i have a question for the people who work in asia..how hard is it to go over there and work? I have developed a turn key solution for a number of machines that were shipped there..The old PLC is obsolite..(Pic 409). The original manufacture is charging a fully loaded Porsche AND a fully loaded Lamborghini to do the work..I just charge for the Porsche!!..I am sure if i get in contact with some people over there i could be bushy for a year or so..The system we came up with is more user friendly quicker to install (Less down time) and cheaper.. All Pluses...But i am unsure on how to branch out to that area...any one have any suggestions??

Thanks..

BTW at $250.00 per day for overseas work you are defiantly getting the shaft..Hell our sparkys get $30 an hour for working in town!

The company I work for now charges $1200/day plus expenses for my services on the customer's site. The previous employer charged $900. Both times I was/am salary so its just another day.

Last edited:
No People left

That is why our company hardly has anyone left
to go overseas and can not find anyone willing to
do it. They tried hiring Chinese controls people
on several jobs but it ended up taking 8-12 months
instead of 2-3 months to get a machine completed and
signed off. Plus the machines stilll do not run as good as
they should. I just do not understand. Why not pay the
people you "HAD" a couple more dollars an hour
and make them happy. How much money are
they losing in the long run anyway? Plus getting