I am looking for a very simple. 8 bit PLC

uhu_fritzl65

HEllo all,
I am charged with making a demo case for a linear actutator. This will be Servo driven and interfaced to a PLC. I need to find a very simple ( SALESLIZARDS, OOPS SALESPERSONS) 8 Bit PLC that will interface with this driver. The Driver has 32 total positions available. All I need to do is have the plc store some simple linear movement position tables.

Some servo drives (e.g. Control Techniques UnidriveSP)have small plcs built into them and may control the actuator for your demo case without the need for a separate plc.

Hello Simon, thank you ffor the quick response...
What I should also add is that the lineaer actuator and the servo drive will b sold as a set. This means that I am stuck with it and need to find a plc...

You say 8 bit. Howcome? First i figured that you needed Analog signals with 8 bit resolution but then you say no analog signals.

Look here for a Micrologix1000...

http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/12762/2181376/2416247/1239746/2159993/http://www.ab.com/plclogic/micrologix/1000/
You can choose 120vac, 240vac, or 24vdc power source, 24vdc sink or source inputs, contact outputs, or 24vdc source outputs.
1761-L32BWA, 1761-L32BWB, or 1761-L32BBB.

We use an ac version here...They are cheap, rugged, reliable, and easy to program with RSLogix500, and have a very good instruction set. They don't have floating point, or removable terminal blocks.

uhu_fritzl65,

There are many options available for you in terms of PLC. Several have been mentioned already.

What driver will you require to interface with your servo? If ModBus RTU is available, then you will have many options...Or is your interface strictly thorugh I/O?

You can view a list of manufacturers through this link - http://www.plcs.net/chapters/links.htm

I will shamelessly offer our product as a solution - www.entertron.com/smart-pak.htm

The version would be the Smart-PAK PLUS in that it can handle your I/O requirements.

You can download the software Free of charge from our web site. You will need to complete this form - www.entertron.com/form.htm and a password will be sent to you.

Disclosure - I work for Entertron Industries.

Hope this helps with your demo case.

God Bless,

I'd take a look @ ControlMicrosystems PLC's for what you are trying to do for the project.

I am charged with making a demo case for a linear actutator.
This will be Servo driven and interfaced to a PLC.
I need to find a very simple 8-Bit PLC that will interface with this driver.
The Driver has 32 total positions available.
All I need is to have the plc store some simple linear movement position tables.

Control inputs are:
13 Control inputs 24V+
5 Control outputs

I do not believe we need to have any analog inputs

You're making it real hard for us to figure out what you are really trying to do...

It sounds like you might have a Servo Controller (one that is not a typical PLC) and it has 13 Inputs and 5 Outputs. -Or... are those Inputs and Outputs supposed to be on the PLC? Hard to tell... What are all of those I/Os for?

It sounds like your Servo Controller requires a 1-byte (8-bits) numeric value to control the position of the linear actuator.

What exactly do the 8-bit values represent? Sounds like they are supposed to represent position values... how are those values and positions corrolated?

How does your controller know when the actuator is in position?

What exactly drives the actuator to move to one particular place or another?

It sounds like you have a "driver"... somewhere, that can "call" upto 32 different numeric values... from "somewhere". Where does that "driver" reside?

It sounds like you want a PLC to be the aforementioned "somewhere".

It sounds like the PLC might be an "after thought"... a simple repository for holding data... how do you plan to load that data into the PLC? How do you plan to extract that data from the PLC?

My questions are all over the place because you haven't provided a decent description of the problem. I have a strong feeling that this is really an easy problem to solve... however...

Please... give us a break... try to define the problem more clearly.

Try to provide a description of how the scheme is supposed to work.

Don't assume that we know anything about what you are trying to do... we don't. So far, your information is more confusing than not.

Without further clarification, you will continue to receive responses that are nothing more than "shots in the dark".

Terry Woods said:
You're making it real hard for us to figure out what you are really trying to do...

Without further clarification, you will continue to receive responses that are nothing more than "shots in the dark".

I whole-heartedly agree. If you want usefull replies you really need to provide usefull infromation. How about it??

Hello All,
sorry about the lack of details. I am new and need to learn what info we need to help another member out. I should have taken the time snd explain what I need to do.

I need to make a sample case which highlights a linear actuator. The actuator can be driven by several types of motors... we have many flanges to adapt to the actuator. There are 2 basic types of these actuators, one is a cylindrical shaft,the other is a block and rail type.

I can use either steppers or servos with incremental encoders to drive the actuars to a stroke of 150 mm.

Salesmen will take these onsite and be expected to operate them showing motion and control. (it needs to have one button. a big friendly labeld "RUN")... Sorry if I offend but my experience has taught me if a salesman can find a way to field test a design to the utmost critical point before seizure, they will in a mst expedious manner. The servo drive hopefully will be able to store a simple set of positions.

I was thinking that there must be an inexpensive way to have 2 axis repeating ( go to postion 1 then 2 then 3 ...) motion.

My problem lies in the experience level...it has been years since i programmed a PLC and I am not even sure if this is the right tool for the job.

Do i use a plc with built in multi-axis motion control? Do they come like that? or with encoder input? ( with fries?)

Do I use a Servo with program storage? IS that possible?

Has anyone ever used one amp for more than one servo motor?

I hope that I have not over-loaded the readers with all of this...
It is wide open to what I use.
Thank you

uhu_fritzl65...

You haven't answered any of my questions.

How may (can) I help you uhu_fritzl65?

(Damn, I want to say... Would you like Fries with that order?)