Connecting to network from home

bitbucket

Having a little difficulty staying connected to PLC Ethernet network at work from home. Can dial up and connect and probably 80% of the time I am able to get online with a selected PLC but after few minutes the connection will be lost. Dial up again and modem answers but does not allow me to get back on network. After repeated attempts it will sometimes allow me back online but will only stay connected for a few minutes. Makes it tough trying to do any troubleshooting from home. The other 20% of the time when I dial up, the modem will answer but not allow me to go online. I have found that if I reset the modem before I leave the job I have a better chance of getting back online if need be. I have upgraded/ flashed the modem with latest firmware and still having difficulty. It’s an AB 9300Rades. Have any ideas, suggestions? How can I determine if it is a phone line problem? modem issue? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I just encountered the RADES 9300 industrial modem for the first time last week.

I noticed that my session on dial-up expired after about 10 minutes of inactivity, but that didn't particularly bother me. I had planned to research and see if there was a cofigurable time-out setting, but haven't gotten to do that yet.

Interestingly enough, I could log on, but someone else could not, using same setup, except that his PC runs XP SP2 and I'm running XP SP1. XP SP2 allows log-on, but consistently fails to connect to the device on the network.

I was just Googling 'QoS, Packet Scheduler', a Microsoft component' to see if that could possibly effect network connections. QoS packet scheduler shows up in the dial-up connection Properties (Network tab) dialogue box on the XP SP2 PC, but doesn't on mine. First overview indicates that QoS might have influence on the transmission characteristics. Haven't read enough yet.

I'm just printing out the 9300 RADES manual now.

Not sure any of this can help you but I'm sorting through a 9300 issue too.

You say the modem will answer. Does it log you on, recognizing your user name & password? And then fail to connect to your device? Or is the modem answering (warble warble warble tones) but failing to log you one?

If you can get through log on, it isn't the phone line's problem.

Dan

I found some time outs referenced in the users manual.

One is inactivity time out in the management program.

User Inactivity:
This setting allows you to change the length of time the management interface will remain open while inactive. (settable 1-99 minutes)

In the management program it is set from:

main menu > Basic Configuration > Miscellaneous > User inactivity (default = 3 minutes)

Then there are several timeouts (connection activity time, idle timeout and channel timeout) mentioned near end of this description of operation from page 31 of the user guide, but I haven't located their settings yet in the management tool:

When the MSG instruction is fired, the packet for 100.100.101.16 is sent to the gateway because 100.100.101.16 is not on the same network with 192.168.1.8 (address of the local SLC). Once the 9300-RADES (192.168.1.1) receives the packet is dials the Dial Out account and sends the packet to the remote 9300-RADES (100.100.101.17), which forwards it to the remote SLC (100.100.101.16) which responds back through the same channel. Once the connection is not active for 1 minute it is terminated by the local 9300-RADES. (The Idle timeout must be set to 30 seconds and the channel timeout to 1 minute for this to happen. By default, the 9300-RADES is set to hang up after 4 minutes of inactivity)

Dan