SLC 5/05 Help fast

mrdmrd

Guys

This morning I had an issue with a SLC 5/05 I lost all communications to my processor. Both Ethernet and RS-232. Seeing how it worked the Friday before we thought that something happened to the processor. We got a brand new never been opened 5/05 out and placed it into the rack and here is the order of how things happen.

1. Fault light flashes once
2. All lights flash once
3. Ethernet light flashes 5 times
4. All lights go out.

After this I still can not establish communications. I have tested my laptop on other processors to eliminate that as a cause. And I have tried another SLC processor although it was a 5/02 in the rack and it communicates fine so it is not the rack.

The thing that is scaring me is that the brand new 5/05 processor is doing the very same thing that the old processor did I really hope that I did not smoke both processors. (that tends to hurt the budget a little bit). Any thoughts as to why I can not establish comms with my SLC 5/05 would be very helpful. The quicker the better I have a line down as we speak.

Thanks in advance

If it was a new "blank" Processor, It should have just faulted immediatly due to the lack of IO Configuration. Try flashing the memory and putting one of the 5/05's in a test rack. Do not hook up the ENET. Go with the RS-232 untill you get the enet configured. Do you have to have enet to run this machine or is it for programing only??

I’d try this :

(1) pull ALL modules slightly out of the chassis ... just enough so that they don’t make contact with their backplane connections ... but not enough to fall out on the floor ...

(2) put one of the processors in the chassis ...

(3) turn the power on ...

(4) see if RSLinx can “autoconfigure” the DF1 driver through the processor’s serial (DB9) port ... cross your fingers when you try this ... it helps! ...

(5) IF RSLinx can NOT communicate with the DB9 port, then try “resetting” the processor by removing the battery and shorting “VBB” to GND” for at least 60 seconds ... if you don’t know what I’m talking about here, then ask ... we’ll show you how ... anyway ... this “reset” should take the processor back to its “off-the-shelf” state and hopefully you’ll then be able to communicate through the DB9 port ... if the “reset” fails, then you are entitled to despair ...

(6) if you can get RSLinx to talk to the processor, then download a simple (“End” rung only) program ... make SURE that the chassis size (under IO Configuration) is listed correctly ... if the processor can run that “null” program without a fault, then you’re making progress ... your processor is probably NOT defective ... let us know how this goes and we’ll continue on from there ...

encouraging words: I’ve seen hundreds of SLC processors ... only 1 of them was actually defective ... relax: it’s AB ...

good luck ...

I would definitely look at the power supply. THe requirements for a 5/02 are substantially smaller than a 5/05. This would also make sense that a 5/02 works and not a 5/05.

And go and try the processors on a test rack. See if they power up that way.

David

What you are describing would pretty much be a new out of the box processor. Although I would have expected the fault light to stay on.

What happens if you turn the key to run? Does it fault or are all lights still off. If it faults then we know the PLC is ok, if no lights, then the power supply would be what I would look at.

You mentioned you couldn't configure comms. What comms? Serial (DF1) or Ethernet?

OG

I'd put the 5/05 back in and measure the +24 VDC from the power supply while you turn power on. Since the 5/05 worked Friday, you could have a digital input from field wiring (if you have DI card in rack) taking the voltage/current down. Just a thought.

What you're describing is only part of the powerup sequence of the SLC-5/05. When I power up an SLC-5/05 controller, the LED's go:

1. Fault LED turns on solid red immediately.
2. All LEDs flash on once, then turn off for about 3 seconds.
3. Fault LED turns on solid red.
4. All LED's flash on again, then turn off.
5. Processor goes to RUN, PROG, or Fault modes.

It sounds like the Ethernet LED is trying to give you a fault code, because the second half of the boot-up sequence doesn't sound like it is happening correctly.

Is the ENET LED flashing green, or red ?

I agree with the other posters that this sounds like a power supply problem.

It is fixed

When I took the card out of the box I looked at the jumper on the back to put the processor in PROTECT or PROGRAM. I looked at the diagram on the side of the card and set the jumper to program. Come to find out the jumper needs to be in the other position or as the diagram shows in the PROTECT spot?????? Either I am mis understanding the terms of PROTECT and PROGRAM or the diagram is labled wrong. Worked fine after I switched the jumper back to the original position.

Thanks for your help anyways.

Matt

FYI

The jumper you are referring to is for the FLASH memory for the controller. Specifically, the Operating System.

The controller has an upgradable operating system. With the jumper in PROTECT the operating system is protected. With the jumper in the PROGRAM position the operating system may be upgraded (flashed) but as you discovered the processor WILL NOT RUN.

OG

Back to the original problem

Ok now that the line is back up and running I need to find out what caused the problem in the first place.

To recap, The processor went out of run mode and all communications where lost. I flashed the memory and started fresh I got RS-232 comms reestablished and the card seems to be working right. This is a fairly big program that is attached to a total of 29 I/O cards 2-13 slot racks and a 4-slot rack the card has a 16k memory and the new one that I replaced it with it is a 32k. Any thought as to what could have caused this problem in the first place.

Thanks

I am confused; in your first post you said that you put in a new CPU and it behaved the same way. In this post you say you "flashed the memory" and the controller worked properly.

Please be more detailed about exactly how you repaired the original, or a replacement, controller.

I was misunderstood on the OS jumper on the back of the card on the replacement card the one for upgrading the OS of the card. After I put the jumper in the back in the proper location (protect)the new card worked fine.

On the old card (the one in question) has the jumper in the right location and acted like the jumper was wrong (would not go into run mode and could not establish comms on either rs-232 or e-net)
Flashed the card and so far I have got the rs-232 working and I am able to go online with the processor) What I am wondering is why it acted this way in the first place??