New Laptop

Doug_Adam

My new laptop arrived today :)

It has a serial port 🍻

I am loading Siemens S7 onto it, and just found that it doesn't have a Floppy Disk Driveo_O

Remember people, these things don't come standard anymore.

Doug

Ha ha .. Well it is not going to be the last time this happens somewhere.

Here are the most obvious solutions to your problem:

1. Install the license on another PC that has a floppy, and then use a USB flash disk to move it to your new laptop. This will only work if you have the latest version of the "Automation License Manager" that came with SP2 for STEP7 v5.3.

2. Install the license on another PC that has a floppy, and then use a USB hard disk to move it to your new laptop. (I recommend a USB hard disk for a number of reasons anyway).

3. Get a USB floppy.

good luck.

Doug

I suppose the floppy reference is with regard to how Siemens deliver their licences for STEP7? You can now use virtually any removable media to transport these licences. It certainly used to be the case that the yellow or red (if you remember that far back) floppies were the only way to go. But now you can use USB memory sticks etc. So long as you can find at least one other PC with a floppy drive, you can tranfer your licence using network connections, USB sticks, removable hard drives. If the worst comes to the worst, you can even do a thing called an Offline Transfer where there's no connection between the PCs at all.

Ken.

PS : Anybody got any ideas how Siemens should deliver the licences? Package a cheap USB stick with every piece of software?

You can also make an image of the floppy (good anyway to prevent loosing your keys) and then you can create virtual floppydrive, that should work well.

I used that once (did not want to buy USB drive for one action) and it worked perfectly. You just need to install some freeware. I cannot remember names anymore, but search from Google "floppy image virtual etc)

BR
Lauri

Are you on a network? If so, then it's a simple matter to 'share' the A: drive on another computer, and map that as, say, drive Z: on your laptop. I did this to install the my RSLogix activation when I got my new laptop (sans floppy drive). I mapped the floppy on my desktop PC. Worked fine... (y)

🍻

-Eric

Congratulations Doug :)

And for the record, just go out and get a USB floppy drive. It's useful for a LOT more than just the license. Lots of places still have their PLC Programs archived on floppies, and it's quicker to just grab on then find someone PC to copy it to a usb stick.

Between the illegal piracy pushers here, and the people that seem to feel the need to bump old old posts for no reason, we need a 'report post' option at least. :(

I know similar "legal" method:
Click Help for The Automation License Manager v.2.0
"How to Transfer a License Key (Offline)"
"The (offline) transfer of license keys can only be performed between 2 computers. 5 steps are involved in the offline transfer of license profile files between these computers...."

Tried the mapping option first, only partly worked.

Have ordered a floppy drive and its on its way.

Should have ordered one up front.

Doug

USB Flash transefirring only the new long keys

JesperMP said:
1. Install the license on another PC that has a floppy, and then use a USB flash disk to move it to your new laptop. This will only work if you have the latest version of the "Automation License Manager" that came with SP2 for STEP7 v5.3.
This justly only for the new long keys. When transefirring the old short key to the USB Flash - ALM (v1.0/v.2.0) show the error message "The license key A9XAR310 on drive cannot be copied back to the diskette. Check whether you have inserted the correct license key diskette."

I havent tried this myself, so I guess that by "short key" and "long key" you mean the old "single license" and the new "floating license" respectively.

OK, to put is short I assumed that if you have the latest License Manager then you also have latest version of STEP7.

I do not know why my previous message has been removed.
I name old keys - A9WSN660.EKB - "short"
Old "short" keys for "old" programs - Short to the size=1280 bytes and length of a name = 8 chars
Short keys are used for following old programs (for WinCC 6 SP2, WinCC Flexible, WebNavigator 6, Protool ...), and long keys for them while are not present.

New long keys for new programs - Long to the size=2560 bytes and length of a name = 14 chars
SIFLA171040503.ekb Float
SISLA171040503.ekb Single
SITTA171040503.ekb 14 day s
SIMFA0000*0503.ekb 10-60 hours