Two DL 05 and EZTouch panel networking

guruge

I am a student doing a school project. I am trying to network two DL 05DR PLC together with an EZTouch panel (EZ-T 10C-F). I have connected the 2 PLCs the way shown on the DL05 manual page 4-33. Pin 1 to pin 1, pin 3(rxd) to pin 4(txd) crisscrossing pin3 and 4 and the EZTouch panel conneted to the first plc port 1. I can get the X, Y or V memory read or writes from the first plc to touch panel. I can’t get the touch panel to communicate with the second PLC. Can someone tell me what should I do to get this working? Right now when I press any button related to the second plc it gives tell me “PLC communication timeout”. Any help appreciated.

You can not do a multidrop (connect to multiple devices) using RS232, you will need to use an RS422/485 network. Refer to chapter 4 page 32 of the manual: http://web2.automationdirect.com/static/manuals/d0user/dl05.pdf

Using RS232 you can not access the other DL05 directly but you can setup the Dl05 with HMI to SEND data to the other DL05. Just setup the DL05 with registers that the HMI can read/write and have this data sent to the other DL05.

Are you sure that all three are on Modbus or DirectNET. You can't use K-Sequence by the book. You should be using DirectNET.

I have chage the first PLC second port to DirectNet in the port configuraton menu. On EZtouch also I chose DirectNet, still same results.

Is the other 05 DirectNET, the two 05 should talk to each other through the com 2 ports. Com 1 port to touch screen on 1 05. I never tried this but I think it should work. If not put the touch screen on K-Sequence to talk to the first 05 which should talk to the 2 05.

The EZ Touch is an HMI (human machine interface) or MMI (man machine interface).

The RS232 configuration will not allow direct connection to the second DL05. This is a LIMIT of serial communication, serial (RS232) can not do multidrop.

You will need to use holding registers in the DL05 with the EZ Touch screen, then create ladder to send/recieve the data in those registers to the second DL05. You will have to program the DL05s to send/recieve the data. Chapter 4 of the manual has this info.

Last edited:
Is the other 05 DirectNET, the two 05 should talk to each other through the com 2 ports. Com 1 port to touch screen on 1 05.

I have connected it that way, and I have tried in K Sequence and DirectNet. But it did not work. I don't know what I am doing wrong here.

Ron has given the answer twice now. To clear it all up, the ports on a DL05 are not pass through. The EZ-Touch will need to be on a multidrop network to communicate directly with both PLCs.

Quote:

You can not do a multidrop (connect to multiple devices) using RS232, you will need to use an RS422/485 network. Refer to chapter 4 page 32 of the manual: http://web2.automationdirect.com/st...d0user/dl05.pdf

End Quote.

Last edited:
With the right programming you can make appear that your connected to both PLCs. The touch panel will communicate via port 1 of plc 1, and port 2 of both PLCs are connected via Directnet 232. PLC 2 will have code that will talk to PLC 1 via the Directnet 232 connection, and provide info for the touch panel.

Just a little imigination.....