Creating Pop up screens in RS View

RPax

Hi, I was wondering if you could help. I currently have an RS Studio SE package that has a licence for 25 displays. However, we now need to add another 2 display screens. Is it possible to use pop ups, overlays or layer screens (screen will need to read tags) or will I need to purchase an additional licence. Would greatly appreciate anyones help. Many thanks Rpax

I am familiar with RSView32 which may be different. With RSView32 it's possible to create a "shell" of a screen with various parameter files that are called at startup. These text files contain the tags that are substituted for "tag placeholders" in the screen when it's opened. If you have some screens that are very similar, you may be able to use this approach to get more functionality for the $$$. We did this to save development time. Once the screen is created, it's just a matter of writing the parameter file for each application it has. You just have to use the appropriate switches in your display commands and set up the parameter files. Again, this pertains to RSView32...Don't know if it will work the same way with Studio SE.

What OkiePC is referring to in RSView SE is called macros. You can use a single screen and use the macros like passing parameters to a subroutine.

I haven't used them, so I am not much help beyond this.

I posted a very similar question a few days ago and didn’t get really any help. I know why now.

Creating a pop up in SE is a pain in the ***.

Here is how I did it.

1 Create a display called PopUp ScratchPad

2. Create a Macro with the command “Display "PopUp Scratchpad" /ZA;” ( /ZA will activate the display but you will never see the display while the Client is running)

3. On the scratch pad add a numeric display

4. From properties of numeric display add VBA control

5. Write VBA code to control display

Sorry, I left out a couple of steps

I posted a very similar question a few days ago and didn’t get really any help. I know why now.

Here is how I did it.

1 Create a display called PopUp ScratchPad

1.1 Also create a display called PopUp (this will be the popup screen)

2. Create a Macro with the command “Display "PopUp Scratchpad" /ZA;” ( /ZA will activate the display but you will never see the display while the Client is running)

3. On the scratch pad add a numeric display

3.1 Create a tag for the numeric display this will control the popup

4. From properties of numeric display add VBA control

5. Write VBA code to control display

Lads, just want to say thanks for the help. Not in the office till tuesday so will give the above a try then. Will report back. Again appreciate and thanks for the help - RPax

R_C, just a late thought, will I be able to do this if I have already used up the maximum amount of displays. I know that I can call the Pop Up in an existing screen say a screen called "Pop up scratchpad" as suggested but if I have to create an additional display (i.e the "Pop Up screen") will SE allow me do this if I have used up the max amount of displays allowed for the licence? Basically will the pop up be seen as a display if I create in display as suggested in point 1.1. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks - RPax

I am just about positive a pop up screen is still a screen and does count towards your license. So, no you can't do this if you have not got any screens left to use.

In my opinion creating a popup is not a big deal in Studio SE. It is a lot easier than using RSView32. Studio is easier to configurr, with the exception of communications.

If indeed you do have similar screens then using place holders is the way to go. Once you do it you will use the feature a lot. Saves tons of time in development.

Let everyone know if you can use place holders on any of the screens. If you can say so and someone will post a better description of how to do it.

The help files are pretty good. Try them first.

Good Luck

Last edited:
RPax said:
R_C, just a late thought, will I be able to do this if I have already used up the maximum amount of displays. I know that I can call the Pop Up in an existing screen say a screen called "Pop up scratchpad" as suggested but if I have to create an additional display (i.e the "Pop Up screen") will SE allow me do this if I have used up the max amount of displays allowed for the licence? Basically will the pop up be seen as a display if I create in display as suggested in point 1.1. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks - RPax
The popup is another display.

You could hide the numeric display that controls the popup on another display.

Also, when you right click on an object you have properties and property panel, step 4. should read property panel instead of properties. Then select VBA control from the ExposedtoVBA property.

I have been at home for the past couple of days and do not have RSView in front of me so this is all from memory. I will be in the office on Monday so I will be able to give a much better explanation if needed.

"The help files are pretty good. Try them first."

Pretty good is giving Rockwell too much credit, the help files blow. This software has more bugs than a NYC crack house.

Last edited:
RCL, just on your quote on Place Holders

"If indeed you do have similar screens then using place holders is the way to go. Once you do it you will use the feature a lot. Saves tons of time in development."

Most of my screens are very similiar so possibly place holders is the way to go. I did a search in the manuals for this but had no luck. Is there another name for this?? In general, not fimiliar with the term? Again thanks for the help - RPax

In RSView32, they're called "tag placeholders" you can use them to have everything on your screen refer to a parameter file when the screen is opened. You can have the page title, all the tags, etc. different for each parameter file that's associated with the display when it's opened. Try searching for placeholder as one word.
Rick Densing said that in RSView SE this feature is called a macro, so placeholder may not be in your help file.

Actually, I was completely wrong. They are still called placeholders. You use parameters to change them.

Search the help file in Studio for "placeholders", there is a good example.

R_C probably has some specific function he wants from the "popup displays" that he needed to use VBA to implement.

It's usually MUCH easier than he described. A button very simply performs a Run Display function, and the "/P" option specifies a Parameter File to pass a set of Tag Placeholders to that Display, which is often an "On Top" type and smaller than the other displays.

The "popup" display then uses Tag Placeholders instead of tags in the object connections. Usually I have a string tag for the label (or a multistate indicator) and of course tags for the displayed value, the entered value, and the Enter handshake.

This multi-function "popup" display still counts against the number of licensed displays in RSView SE, but it only counts once.... you can have up to 500 parameter files so theoretically you could use the popup screen 500 times but only take up one licensed Display.

RSView SE does have a User Guide that is installed in PDF format along with the software... I'm pretty sure you can get it in hardcopy too. Tag Placeholders are described in Chapter 16, which is the first part of Volume 2. From RSView Studio, go to Help -> Online Books -> User's Guide Volume 2.

Last edited:
R_C said:

Not really. If you're smart when you set up your tag database.
YOu can pass in parameters to a screen call using the /T command. If you organize your tags, so that you can pass in the folder as a parameter, popups are a piece of cake. When you make the call to the popup, pass it a folder name: /TPLCNAME\PUMPNUM1. Your popup references an element the folder like this {#1\PUMP_SPD}. This is especially easy with CLX UDTs.

AK

PS. I may have the slashes backwards. Be sure to RTFM.