GE 90-30 or Allenbradly SLC

Madhu

I have been using GE 90-30 CPU 364.I just want to know which is better - GE 90-30 or Allen Bradly SLC series in terms of

1)Ease of Programming.
2)reliability

You have been using both. Don't you have an opinion of your own?

Ease of programming is in the eye of the programmer. If you learned ladder logic on the 90-30 PLC, you may find the SLC cumbersome and vice versa.

How long do you think either company would remain in the automation business if they didn't make a reliable product? The majority of field failures of PLC components are due to wiring errors or misapplication.

If I understand your post, you only have GE experience.

I learned on AB, and after 8 years learned GE Fanuc 9030's and Micro 90's. I have been a big fan since. In comparison, I find GE much easier to program, and more reasonably priced.

As far as reliability, I have never heard concrete that one is actually better then the other. I was in a plant for a year where we had 500~ GE, 150~ AB, 50~Automax, and another 150~ of assorted other brands. The other brands were the ones that we had trouble with.

AB is expensive. They are big, they are represented in almost every corner of the USA, and the World. GE has a different marketing plan. Generally, GE is available from a regional distributor, sometimes local. Generally, a big company can get a visit from an AB trgee piece suit, but with GE it is more likely a distributor in a golf shirt. This may not always be the case.

BTW: I would like to be one of those GE type guys, but scratch the golf shirt, even having lost weight, I don't like their fit or look.

If I were to lamd a job at the local AB distributor or panel shop, I wouldn't mind programming GE's at night on the side.

regards.....

Last edited:
I have found that they both have their strengths and weeknesses. If you're used to AB and their dummied-down programming, then the SLC is an easier choice. If you're used to GE or Mitsubishi, or a host of other (more complex/computer like) PLCs, then the 90-30 will be easier for you to learn on.

As for reliability, I would say that either one is as rock-solid as you're going to get. However, GE seems to be going through its third major itiration of programming software (Cimplicity ME, or Proficy if you perfer), and I've had some problems with it recently (with a PAC Systems PLC). Allen-Bradley, on the other hand, has a very mature and well proven programming package with RSLogix500.

I use Allen Bradley, and found GE much easier to program.

They both hold up very well.

GE is more cost effective, and you do not have to keep paying for updates.

I would rather we had ALL GE.

Del

We are a mostly GE plant but are starting to use AB more frequently (SLC and MicroLogix). I learned GE and AB programming simultaneously, and my preference is becoming more and more AB. I found RSLogix 500 to be more user-friendly than VersaPro, although I prefer GE's method of memory management.

I would say that GE's latest software, Machine Edition, was the last nail in the coffin for me. We purchased a copy and I find it to be very cumbersome and overbuilt for the fairly uncomplicated projects we do here. (Our electricians concur--we purchased a piece of equipment with a PLC program written in Machine Edition and they rewrote the entire program in VersaPro.) And from the distributors we deal with, I haven't noticed much of a price difference between the two brands.
-John

I first started in the industry on GE plcs. But I’ve been programming AB PLCs for about 13 years now. Both are excellent platforms, but I have a preference for the AB plcs, maybe its just that I have gotten used to organizing my data and program subroutines in the AB plcs. But the ABs are more expensive. If you are thinking about migrating to AB plcs from your GE plcs then I would recommend you skip over the SLC family and consider the Logix5000 family. Being able to use multiple languages, named variables, custom user defined data types (including complex and mixed data structures), and not being pigeonholed into set data files and addresses is a major plus.

I've been an Allen Bradley dude for a long time, but then for the past year I've been working on projects that only have GE 90-30 PLCs, (customer spec'd) I must say I really like the GE PLC. ALOT!

I especially can't believe how easy it was to configure a Profibus system with a Horner Profibus card in comparsion to an Allen Bradley system using Device Net....no comparsion

I also like the fact that you don't have to have a communication program running (RS Linx) when programming GE.

But I like the timers better in Allen Bradley and how WORDS and memory registers are better managed etc...

That's just my opinions...

Depends on which customer.

WE have one customer that won't pgrade, so I do the development in versapro. Matter of fact, I find myself doing most of the plcs in ge for this customer in versapro. I've done a Machine Edition program too. I like it alot too.

The best thing I like is the Quick Panel (HMI) and PLC software is one whole package deal. Who doesn't like that right? I wish everyone would follow that same suit...hint, hint...

PS: I have some same versapro programs for download at mrplc if anyone is interested in looking, just look around.

chakorules said:
The best thing I like is the Quick Panel (HMI) and PLC software is one whole package deal. Who doesn't like that right?

Me.

I like the GE 90-30, the VersaMax is OK. The Quickpanel is mediocre at best, and I prefer other HMIs. In fact, I quite often get my PLC from one manufacturer and the HMI from a different one.

We use GE 90-30's and Versamax exclusively where I work. They used to use Modicon back in the day, long before I was here or even out of High School. We also use EZtouch touch screens for all our HMI's, it can do everything we need it to, the price is right and they can handle the environment.

I've tried to use ME a few times but I am so pressed for time on all my projects I just don't have time to deal with the differences and take the time to learn them. Some stuff really aggravates me with the new software. Plus with Versapro they would give you two licenses, one for your laptop and one for your desktop. With ME they will only give you one.

glaverty said:
I've tried to use ME a few times but I am so pressed for time on all my projects I just don't have time to deal with the differences and take the time to learn them. Some stuff really aggravates me with the new software. Plus with Versapro they would give you two licenses, one for your laptop and one for your desktop. With ME they will only give you one.
The actual LD programming window in Proficy ME has been ported from VersaPro so there is a very small learning curve here. With the inclusion of the 'Toolchest' to store 'Objects', like standard rungs or subroutine blocks, Proficy ME (PME) can become more productive.
Another BIG productivity boost in switching to PME is in machine startup and troubleshooting. This is in the 'Reference' Tab of the 'Feedback' window where you will find a "live" cross reference of the PLC address under the cursor, double-clicking a location in this window will bring you to that rung of logic. This cross reference includes the 'Variable table' and QuickPanel.
You can now get your license on a USB key that you can easily move from PC to PC, (as many as you want, not just two) the down side is that it must be plugged in to use the software.

Russ,

I figured out the Toolchest and I do like that feature, the cross referencing is nice too. I liked being able to look at the address and description lists, in ME it seems to only show whatever variable you are viewing, not the entire list. Also when you are doing ladder coding you have to drag and drop the same item repeatedly rather than clicking on it and having it stay on and clicking each spot in the ladder window that you want it to be. That really annoys me. Is there a place to change these options to have it work like VersaPro does?

Thanks for the heads up on the USB Key, I'll have to check that out.

glaverty said:
...in ME it seems to only show whatever variable you are viewing, not the entire list.
See the screen shot.]
Nav_Plus.gif

glaverty said:
...when you are doing ladder coding you have to drag and drop the same item repeatedly rather than clicking on it and having it stay on and clicking each spot in the ladder window that you want it to be. That really annoys me. Is there a place to change these options to have it work like VersaPro does?
Mine works just like in VersaPro, I do not know if it is an option setting or version thing, I am using Version 5.0 SP3 now, I will see what I can find out.