step5

step7

is there anyway for enable/disable downloading icon in s7 software?

Guest,

if you have two totally different topics, then it's best to start two independent threads, that's the best way to get the answers you are looking for.
how i can connect to plc s5 via usb port?
The S5 programming interface uses 20mA current loop. So you will need a USB-to-CL converter or a combination USB-to-serial / serial-to-CL. Furthermore, in the older versions of STEP5, you can only use COM1 and COM2 for communication with the S5 PLC, so you'll have to be able to address the USB port as one of those. In newer versions you can choose between COM1, 2, 3 and 4.

Kind regards,

I thihk and it is that if you use STEP5 you can't connect to S5 PLC through USP->RS232---RS232->LC converters. But you can use PG2000 program. This one is 32bit software and you can use virtual port USB->ComX. I did it. You can download PG2000 from this page http://www.process-informatik.de/
PG2000 is better soft for programming of S5 than Step5

Valera said:
I thihk and it is that if you use STEP5 you can't connect to S5 PLC through USP->RS232---RS232->LC converters.
Surely you can, I did it on a few occasions when I had to connect to an S5 and all I had under hand was my laptop without any COM-ports. I used an off-the-shelf USB2COM converter and a home-made RS232-Current loop converter and everything worked fine.

BTW, any program might be better than STEP5, but if you have STEP5 available and it is usable then any other software means extra costs.

Kind regards,

Last edited:
MHJ has a USB to PG online cable that works with STEP5 (under Win2K or WinXP).
But like Jean Pierre said, maybe an off-the-shelf USB to serial converter works with a normal TTY converter.

Last edited:
I read the above but I'm a little confused. So can u guys help me out here.Here's what we got.

Windows 98 USB
Step 5 version 7.02
PC/RS232 converter cable -> 25-9 pin plug -> and USB/RS 232 converter.

and a Simatic step 5 CPU 103 100 U PLC.

Will I get comms with this?

Charlton,

the programming port of any S5 PLC uses 20mA current loop signals. RS232 will simply not do, you definitely need any kind of current loop converter, be it RS232 to current loop or USB to current loop. An RS232 to current loop converter is fairly easy to make for yourself. You can find a good one at the RunMode website in the usefull stuff section.

Kind regards,

tx jvdcande, I'm not 100% sure wot this loop converter is but I think we
have it. The cable that plugs into the S5 is a 15 pin and the other side a 25 pin. It says "PC/RS 232 Converter 6ES5 734-1BD20 AG/TTY" on the 25 pin side and "PVH" on the 15 pin side.

Is this wot u talkin abt?

Scuse me if my questions r dumb, but I've never done any PLC course. Learnt by word of mouth and books. Always get stuck on how to get online but after that, it's down hill al the way....

Charlton,

if you are using a Siemens PG to program, then this cable will do. If you use a regular PC, it won't. The reason? There is no conversion in the cable. The PG has a built-in converter and this cable connects the points of this converter (which are on the com port - it's not a standard one) to the correct points on the PLC. With a regular PC you need a separate converter.

Kind regards,

Charlton,

I already have put a link to a site with schematics in on of my previous posts. Just click on the underlined text stating the Runmode website and you'll be redirected there.

Regards,

There is other way for connect to PLC and edit a program of PLC

If you use PG2000 (This is editor of S5 and S7) you will be able use USB->USB/RS232converter->TTY without problem