addressing 32 point input modules on the ab slc 500 series

georgia boy

hi can anyone explain the difference between addressing a 32 point input module in rs logix 500 vs. a 16 point modules i am familiar with 16 point

Depending on how you have your program defaults setup, you can see the addresses a couple of different ways.

Lets assume the 32 input card is in slot six....
1. I:6.0/4 refers to the fifth input... I:6.1/3 will refer to the twentieth input.
2. also, I:6/4 refers to the fifth input.... I:6/20 will refer to the twentieth input.

Let me know if this doesn't answer your question, and i'll dig into it some more...

Last edited:
The SLC can address 32-bit cards in two ways; as a single 32-bit entity using bits /0 to /31 or as two 16-bit words using bits .0/0 to .0/15 and .1/0 to .1/15.

You can select which mode you want by right-clicking in the ladder display and picking Properties, Addressing. There are check boxes for either slot/bit or slot.word/bit

NOP said:
You can select which mode you want by right-clicking in the ladder display and picking Properties, Addressing. There are check boxes for either slot/bit or slot.word/bit

This is for display only. While editting an address, you can use both methods.

A helpful practice is to create a CSV file for all of your IO points using the tag names form the electrical drawings as it will save you from addressing woes in the future.

I start a project, big or small, by creating an IO table in Excel, and then use that to create the electrical drawings. The ACAD-E package I use reads this excel file and parametrically generates the IO module wiring drawings with tags, addresses, and field device symbols. From that same table at the same time it’s a simple matter to create a CSV file that I import directly into the Logix-500. I address the 32 point IO modules as I:Slot/Bit where bit is 0-31 in the Excel spreadsheet. You can use the auto-fill feature to very rapidly generate the IO addresses. By using the tag from the drawing I find that it is much easier to program, instead of putting the address in I type the tag symbol name. Once the CSV is imported every IO point has a name and description on it before I create the first rung of logic and address entry errors are less likely - and the IO tag symbol and descriptions in the program and on the drawings are the same.

Last edited: