205 with 260 ooops!

bbseay

today I was running a machine and I tried to change a timer value while the program was running. To change the timer value I had to change a value in v memory that LD to a timer v memory. Well the machine went haywire and the preset to the timer started to timing UP on it's own. Needless to say the machine won't work. I reloaded the program and still that preset is moving up for no reason that I can find. the preset again is being LD to a v memory location from a v memory location. nothing was true on the rung the tmr block is on. There is nothing that I can figure triggering the preset to increase on it's own.

Has anyone ever heard of something like this happening. I left the site, I have not tried wiping the memory on the cpu, yet.
Billy

The plc is the 205 by automation direct the cpu is the 260....

Last edited:
bbseay said:
To change the timer value I had to change a value in v memory that LD to a timer v memory.

Here's my take on the above statement. For my example, the timer uses V2000 for its preset. You're saying you're using, say, LD V3000; OUT V2000, which causes the timer to use the value in V3000 as the preset. You change the value in V3000 to change the timer's preset.

Is this part correct. I'm thinking not, but I'll need a better explanation. Any chance you can attach the program or at least that portion of it?

🍻

-Eric

the program has been working well i was trying to clean up a small timing issue. I can reload the program before the change was made and still get the irradic timer preset action. Can you mess up a cpu by changing the timer preset while the program is running?

yes the way you mentioned ldv3000 out v2000 is the way i was doing it. The program is 850 rungs long.

Last edited:
v memory problems

Based on the info in the post it would appear that v3000 or v2000 is being written to from more than one location, either coming from something on another rung or from a network device such as a (HMI) operator interface or maybe another PLC. You did not say anything about a network so I'm just guessing about that.

Maybe this will help.
Sid

I'm still confused. Did YOU add the LD,OUT rung? If so, then perhaps you accidentally used a V-memory already allocated somewhere else in the program. Or, even a 'dedicated' V-memory like V0-V377 or V1000-V1377. These are the accumulated values for the timers and counters.Now that I think about it, I'm still not sure WHICH value you changed. ACCUMULATED, or PRESET value? I'm also not clear as to why you need a LD, OUT to change this value anyway. Why not just change the value directly?

🍻

-Eric

P.S. A file, screenshot, etc. would be VERY helpful!... :nodi:

I'm also not clear as to why you need a LD, OUT to change this value anyway. Why not just change the value directly?
I was wondering about that earlier but at the time couldnt see why that would make a timer start timing..BUT now that you mentioned it if he is changing the ACCUMULATOR, NOT the PRESET then it would start timing. If he is using the timer itself as a latch that would mean it would keep on timing.

You cna load new timer presets into a timer at any time. We do it frequently.

Is this an accumulating timer (TMRA)? If so, you need to allow two consecutive timer registers for it. If you have another timer with the timer address immediately following your accumulating timer, they will overwrite each other and create havoc. Look at the usage window to detect this.

Otherwise, one of your V registers is being overwritten elswhere in the program or by another PLC or HMI.

Is this an accumulating timer (TMRA)? If so, you need to allow two consecutive timer registers for it. If you have another timer with the timer address immediately following your accumulating timer, they will overwrite each other and create havoc. Look at the usage window to detect this.

Otherwise, one of your V registers is being overwritten elswhere in the program or by another PLC or HMI.[/QUOTE]

Tom I've seen some programers load 0 in the second vmemen location to make consecutive timers work, This is what he might be doing.

I've seen it done but I can't do it. I've looked through my library and can't find an example of it.

well i found out my problem, I erased 3 different mls-mlr segments and the logic began writing to a certain timer v memory preset. thanks

billy

bbseay said:
well i found out my problem, I erased 3 different mls-mlr segments and the logic began writing to a certain timer v memory preset. thanks

billy

So it would seem that the problem was pebkac, eh?

I hate those!

(been known to screw myself every now and then due to haste.)

My favorite version of pebkac is when I'm 'absolutely sure that's how it works because I rtfm'. Then I go back and I swear that someone must have carefully unbound the manual, rewriten the instructions and then bound it all back together so I wouldn't notice.

The problem with PLCs, computers, and such is that they resemble wifes in the way that they never seem to understand what you ment to say, and are always are at the ready to burn you with what you actually did say...

However, once you figure out the instruction set (unique to each model)...things seem to go quite smoothly.

elevmike said:
However, once you figure out the instruction set (unique to each model)...things seem to go quite smoothly.
That's only possible with a PLC... Women keep adding 'addendums' to their instruction sets... :rolleyes:

Bob, I found a pebkac keyboard for you... :D

pebkac2.jpg

🍻

-Eric