Connecting S7 to an old Level 2

automan

Hi folks
We have recently revamped an old S5 based control system to S7 type. Before,level2 (which is running on a PC with DOS operating system) was connected to S5 PLC using a PC-LINK card in its side.But now, how we can connect new S7 to this old level2?

Last edited:
I dont know about your "level2" system.

If it uses or can use the 3964R protocol then you can install a CP340 or CP341 to add this protocol to the S7 system.

If it uses or can use the RK512 protocol then you can install a CP341 to add this protocol to the S7 system.

When I say "level2 system", I mean "modeling programs which are installed on a PC".
This software calculates setpoints which control system should follow. Here, level2 programs are written with PASCAL. They have also implemented protocols to communicate this software with S5 PLC via PC-LINK card. I don't know what protocol has been used?

Hello Automan;

You can get an indication of the protocol used by looking at what port is used on the PLC. If your PC-Link is connected to the programming port, you are probably using AS511 (curent-loop serial comms); if you are using a comm. processor, you could be using 3964R or even RK512, depending on the parameters setup in the comm. card (you will need the COMxxx package to read those values from the comm. processor; each processor has its own COMxxx software, and the name contains the card number; e.g, for a CP5413, use pakage COM5431).
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Thanks Daniel, But as I found out, in S5 side a CP1430 TCP had been used.

Then what? Can I connect My PC-LINK to a CP443-1 in S7 side easily or...?

Last edited:
Hello Automan;

First: the CP443-1 can be configured to be compatible with the CP1430 TF (technological functions, one of the Siemens exchange techniques used in the old H1 Ethernet processors); look at the following link:

http://support.automation.siemens.com/-snm-0135109872-1114240600-0000019557-0000004151-1115705896-enm-WW/llisapi.dll?query=cp1430&func=cslib.cssearch&content=skm%2Fmain.asp&lang=en&siteid=cseus&objaction=cssearch&searchinprim=0&nodeid0=4000024

Second: Programming the CP443-1 to repond to the same requests from your PC-Link will be a *****, probably. Addressing schemes are different, data formats have changes somewhat between the 2 platforms (S5 and S7). It would probably be easier to use a standard TCP/IP card in your PC and reprogram the PASCAL (if you have the source, of course) to request the pertinent data from the CP443-1, since you will have to modify the PLC program anyway.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

automan said:
Hi folks...
level2 (which is running on a PC with DOS operating system) was connected to S5 PLC using a PC-LINK card in its side.
First of all I should excuse cause when I reviewed my first question there were some mistakes
-Operating system of level2 PC is REAL32 which is an old version of DOS
-PC-Link is an Industrial network card in PC side and as I mentioned later a CP1430-1 was in S5 side(before revamping)

dchartier said:
It would probably be easier to use a standard TCP/IP card in your PC and reprogram the PASCAL (if you have the source, of course) to request the pertinent data from the CP443-1, since you will have to modify the PLC program anyway.
We have modified PLC programs anyway but about reprogramming the PASCAL, I don't know how to communicate with CP443-1, addressing format, data format and bit pattern.I would appreciate if somebody could help?
P.S.:I think the standard TCP/IP card that I can use in my PC is this damned PC-LINK, since the OS does not support new ones

Last edited: