ControlLogix and S7 on same machine?

KBrodin

I have a customer who is currently running ControlLogix 5000 on a workstation. Since we are upgrading the rest of the plant with Simatic S7, he wants to put both on the same machine. Is anyone aware of any conflicts with having both on the same PC? He claims that both should not be running at the same time, he just wants the convenience of a single workstation in this location in the plant.

I am running both STEP7, STEP7MicroWIN, RSLogix500 and RSLogix500 together on several machines. One thing I had a problem with was that both the RSLogixes and STEP7MicroWIN used COM1 as programming interface. This was solved by deselecting the "Always run as service" tickbox in the RSLinx launch control panel. Because I'm using either a CP5611-card or a USB2MPI converter to connect to S7-300/400, I'm even able to run both softwares at the same time.

Kind regards,

kinda worked

After the install and reboot everything seems to work. I can monitor the S7 program (I don't really care about the AB program myself), and they claim the AB is working OK.
The problem is now when we boot up we get registry errors relating to S7ubTskb and sqlany.
Any thoughts on if there is a work around for these errors?

I'm not sure if there is a workaround, but it sounds like there were some registry issues when you installed S7.

On the RSLogix 5000 side, what version of the software is installed? If it is the latest version (v. 13), then maybe the issue is caused by a conflict between the FactoryTalk components used by RSLogix and the registries S7 is attempting to modify.

I know that with other Rockwell software products, (RSView SE, for example) it must be installed first, and then other Rockwell products can be installed. Perhaps this is happening here, but in reverse (after all, I doubt Rockwell has considered testing the interaction of its software with a competing package).

If there are no obvious issues being caused by the registry errors, I would think everything is OK, and this may just be a nuisance (IMO). The only other thought that comes to mind would be to uninstall both SW packages and then reinstall S7 before RSLogix. But, as they say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Regards,
Rick

We, at Siemens, haven't looked into issues with the competing packages either. By the way the RSLogix is v. 13.03 and the S7 is v 5.1.

I agree with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!". But I am a little concerned that later (6mos-1yr) we will find out it is broke. For now it seems to be OK.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin:

Hope all goes well for you on site. I respect how difficult it can be in the trenches (even if you do happen to work for "the other guys!) :D 🍺

You get the white box of death at start up ?
check the path and make sure it still points where it should .
I generally delete the path after installing S7 paste it to a text file, install AB stuff , the merge the path back in . AB doesn't like a path in excessive of 132 characters I believe . Try it this way , you should have no problems .

What OS is the workstation running? Dont you need version 5.2 for XP?

Have you looked at autoexec.bat and verified the files are where its looking?...ie SET SQLANY=C:\SIEMENS\COMMON\SQLANY That SQLANY is in Siemens\Common folder. Same for the rest. On my system the first line has the paths for both S7 and Rockwell listed:
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\SIEMENS\COMMON\SQLANY;"C:\PROGRAM;FILES\ROCKWELL;SOFTWARE\RSCOMMON";C:\PROGRA~1\ROCKWE~1\RSCOMMON;C:\PROGRAM;SOFTWARE\RSCOMMON;%PATH%

Solution?

I am getting almost the exact same thing on my laptop after updating my RSLogix 5000 from version 16.03 to version 17. I do not have any issues with any of the software, but it would be nice to know a fix. If anyone else is getting this same issue or knows a fix it would be greatly appreciated. I will attach a screen shot of the S7ubTskb window that comes up at startup. The version of Step 7 I have installed is 5.4. Thanks.