PLC Programming Interview Please Help

wush

Hi,

I have an Interview next week regarding entry level PLC programming. Can anyone tell me what kind of questions i should be expecting i would really appreciate it

Thank You

Last edited:
Hard to say.

My first interview of this type (unsuccessful - maybe) consisted of:
"How do you define leadership"
"What do you think makes a good leader"
With the young interviewer checking his answer card carefully to see if I got the right answer.

The second interview (different, much smaller company) consisted of the boss of a small automation house telling me all about what his company does, occasionally checking to see if I looked interested (I did). That interview ended with the statement "$14.50 an hour is as far as I can go, you interested?". I said yes, and the next question was "What day does your university end, so I can get your PC ready".

Other successful interviews mainly consisted of me demonstrating my knowledge and keen interest in the field. If you lack knowledge (and you are going for a starting position), then keen interest, and a demonstrated knowledge of electrical, electronic and programming theory should be enough.

hope this helps,

Doug

Take your "bragging" sheet with you (jobs you have done).

Mine is considerable. Beats the heck out of a piece of paper with a degree on it if they are serious.

I usually ask what your hobbies are. Most people in our field also like to tinker around with computers, RC planes/cars/boats, etc. That shows me what the person true interests are.

Thanks for your reply. Though it is a an entry level position but they want someone who has atleast a CO OP experience with it. Furthermore, if you can guide me on some questions for designing,testing, and developing of electrical components, equipment , and machinery also BOM's.

Thank You

"Where do you want to be in 5 years time?"

Normally not a good idea to say "Sat where you are now"

Also...
"What is your greatest acheivement"
"What is your biggest mistake"
"Why do you want this job"
"What do you think you can bring to this company" (to this question I once answered "a sense of humour"... still got the job!)

Good luck with the interview... :)

I've only had one "Real Job" since leaving the military eight years ago, but I have been for several interviews at other plants in my area. I always dreaded the "So, why do want to leave your current employer?" kind of question.

dale

"What is your dream job?"
"Why do you want this job?"
"What do you want out of your job?"
"What do you want out of life?"

But it really varies...

Hello wush;

Maybe you feel that the type of answers this forum is giving you is taunting or farcical. You should not feel that way. I have been to many an interview, and have trained students to face up to those dreaded questions (in an earlier life...). I can assure you that the type of questions that the guys here are pointing out are really what you have to face. A prospective employer does not generally have time to go through the details of your training. Diplomas, certificates and especially experience will indicate what level of expertise you can bring to his enterprise (though he might test you with basics, like what you need to download to a PLC or how to interface signals with relays...). What he really needs to know is how you can complement his workforce, what attitudes you have, how you will react under pressure, how fast you can learn and adapt. So really do examine the other posts in this thread, and practice honest and clear answers (not only for the boss, also for yourself): Where du you really want to be in 5 years?

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Is there any technical questions regarding PLC I should prepare for as i don't have any back ground in PLC. I know a little bit about what it is and it does but not alot in detail like how can i download the PLC and how it fuctions.

Ken Moore said:
A couple of questions I've heard often are: "What is your greatest accomplishment?" "What was your greatest challenge, and how did you overcome it?

These have got to be on the latest "dumb questions to ask" list.

I was asked recently what big chalenges that I've had lately. I told them that things come up every day. They all have to be handled. More will come up in the future. Some are more important, some are harder, some don't really matter. They just all have to be handled.

HR reps that ask these question are the ones who couldn't get jobs teaching PLC's (like the plc instructors who want the three types of plc questions answered).

regards.....casey

(like the plc instructors who want the three types of plc questions answered).
Cant really blame the instructors for that. Its a national certification program with a fixed format. I agree that its kind of outdated but I think the idea is to introduce plcs to (mainly young) people that do not have a clue what a plc is, looks like or actually does.

I have noticed that that specific question doesnt get asked much these days, maybe the instructors and/or students are using the freestudy site more.

If you dont know plcs and someone interviews you that does then your chances are slim, especially if its in a few days and no time to crash study. It all depends on "who" interviews you what the specific questions may be. I got tripped up once when asked about PID...I knew what it was but couldnt explain it when asked if my life had depended on it. Seems like every time I go for an interview someone asks something that is unexpected.

I think that its very very rare for someone to go to a job interview and be the absolute ideal candidate for that job. In any new job you are bound to be facing situations/equipment etc you are not familiar with, at least in part.

A good interviewer will recognise potential in an applicant as much as they will recognise ability.

Be honest, confident and keen and you'll have done as much as you can do.

If they ask an awkward question, it is usually to see how you react to pressure as much as it is seeing what your answer is.

If you don't get the job then don't get too disheartened, it just wasn't for you. I don't know about the US but in the UK it is law that interviews must take place for any position (to do with equal rights legislation). Because of this, a lot of interviews happen when the company already know who is going to get the job. They are just paying lip service to the legislation.

This is a pain but its just the way it is. I went for quite a few interviews where I didn't get the job, mainly because I would work myself up before the interview and be too nervous when I went in there. I knew that I could do the job but probably didn't put that across as well as I should have.

After about 5 unsuccessful interviews I started going in to them with a "if I get it, I get it, if I don't, I don't" attitude and this helped my confidence. The next 4 interviews I did resulted in 4 different job offers...

Good luck... :)

The classic question of "what is your weakness" always got me..
While i havent had many interviews (self employed now) I always figured that a response of "I have a hard time dealing with incompatance." Its a weakness but also a selling point..

Off topic a little

I went for a "get to know you" meeting with one of my clients when they were think about my company to do there maintiance/service for there company..I hadnt done any Real PLC work at that time..I hade taken the PLC course at trade school for becoming an electricatian and, not honking my own horn, did better than anyone else in class..more important i liked it and saw that it was going to be the future..So anyway the chief engineer liked what i said (Most of it was a selling pitch..24hr service, I know what a deadline is and never failed to meet one etc.etc) so he showed me around the plant..Remember i was PLC trained on AB SLC 100's with a hand held programmer and didnt know what an HMI was..Well he opened a cabinet about 7' high 6' wide FULL of I/O cards for modicon 984..This was one of 4 systems he had here..I didnt even blink and said "oh yeah no problem.."..That was 7 years ago..I still do all there maininance but now i do all there programming, New instalations and do approx 3/4 of a million $ a year with them...

Moral of the story..dont act suprised or show dought..Future employers/clients are looking for confidence. Face every challenge head on..Dont shy away from it..If you only stick with what you know you wont ever know much..

Just my 2c

Good luck with the interview...

Last edited: