Rsview Studio Data Logging

Sparks

Hi all,
I am just about to start a project using Rsview Studio, in the project i will have to extract various information from tags and store into a database. What is the best way to extract this information ?, I have looked into the datalogging instruction but from what i can see this only exports the information into a .log file, and is unreadable in excel / Access.
Thanks in advance for anyones help

Daniel

If it's an RSViewSE project then it can log to any ODBC database and you can examine the data with just about anything you want. If it's an RSViewME project then it logs to a proprietory format but there is a utility that'll convert them to .dbf files that you can open with Excel. The logging in ME is really only intended to support PanelViewPlus/Versaview trend objects; it's a bit restricted in scope if you want to capture masses of production data for detailed analysis.

Yes it is a RsviewSE project i have set up a ODBC database connection but so far all that i can see that can access this is the 'Diagnostics List'. How do you assign a PLC tag to write to the database.

Thaks Daniel

When you are creating your data log model, you should see a "Tags in Model" tab. You will be able to use this tab to open a Tag Browser that lets you choose the PLC tags that you want data logged.

Rick

Thanks Guys For your help, are you able to select dataloging as ODBC if you are using machine edition or is this only available with the suervisory eddition.

Thanks

AS NOP mentioned in his earlier post, the purpose of the data log is different in RSView ME and RSView SE. If you want, (and preferably if the PanelView Plus terminal is on an Ethernet network), you can save the RSView ME data log file to a remote location and then use a conversion utility to open the file. However, this would not be true data logging to an ODBC database.

However, if you have an RSView ME application that is part of a larger distributed RSView SE application, then you may be able to log the RSView ME data to an ODBC database.

This however, would require duplicate datalogs:

1. The data log used in the RSView ME application.

2. A data log in RSView SE that references the same tags as the native RSView ME data log.

I hope this answered your question without adding any confusion... :p

Rick

SE only; ME can log to other locations but only in the one, fixed format. You'd need an external application to convert and forward to ODBC.