Is Simatic 505 still a valid platform to start with for SCADA?

tgreif

I have a client that wants to upgrade their plant SCADA system. They currently have a system comprised largely of old TI-500 I/O with TI-565 processors. They're aware of the difficulty obtaining support (parts) for the old stuff. CTi still makes campatible modules and they've requested that the new system be based on the Siemens Simatic 505 line using either Simatic 545 precessors or CTi series 2500 processors. I don't want to tell them they're nuts to go with that type of equipment but I'm having a problem justifying staying with that platform for a complete redo of the SCADA system. They're using (and will continue to use) a Wonderware HMI package. This is not a large system, having probably only about 1,000 hardwired I/O.

I don't generally see much Siemens gear in the Water and Wastewater field so I'm not sure if my concerns are valid. Will this product platform be supported for the forseeable future?

Some of the 505 line has entered mature status.
There is a listing at this link: http://www.sea.siemens.com/automat/product/plc/505/au505dl.html

But if I was the customer, I would also go with the 505 series, it is one of the best for process control. It is getting difficult to find parts for the older 500 series I/O and a refurbished 565 cost as much as a much newer model. But even though there are a lot of 505 cards on the mature list, there's a lot of used/repaired units out there.

BTW,
what are they going to do with the old stuff? I might would be interested the old stuff, still have a few systems of similar vinatage.

Ken

Last edited:
Not sure what they plant to do with the old stuff Ken, but I'll let them know that you may be interested in it.

Thanks for the reply.