IT Problems- help

stevez

Our IT department have started using a filter to deny access to internet chat programs and sites.Their program filters sites according to "key" words.
I can't get into : www.plctalk.net as the word "talk" blocks the site .

I have asked them to open the site for me -so far no luck.

Steve

Just wait. Here, they send a list of every site visited, how long you were at each site (including pop-unders), and how much data was transfered. My old boss would call every one of us in his office each month and we would have to explain what we were doing at each internet site. My current boss only expects me to get my job done.

I would suggest not trying to skirt around them, do your best to have them allow the site. Its also good to get your manager to bat for you as well, since he should have more pull.

BTW, when you asked, did they say no, or just didn't get back to you?

DaveZ said:
Did you try to access it through www.askjeeves.com? If you search for www.plctalk.net you can find the website. On my browser address (after I click on the link), it still says that I am at web.ask.com. This might let you get through.

That is cool!

The forum part of PLCS.net has been banned at my work too, no forums allowed full stopped, except for IT ones
icon8.gif

When I get to site I will try it out!

It amazes me that this forum would be banned at a place of business where your job is automation/PLC's. I read this site as well as Ron's every day while at work and encourage our second shift electrician to do so as well.

dale

Doug hi ,I sent them ane-mail explaining the importance of the site.So far no answer.
Seeing that I am not alone with this problem makes me feel a little better.
Thanks all.

Internet at Work? Must be nice. We don't even have that. If I need to download a data sheets, specs on equipment, anything like that, I have to write it down and then come home and download it.

Ahh the wonders of multi-billion dollar companies!

just_lionel said:
Internet at Work? Must be nice. We don't even have that. If I need to download a data sheets, specs on equipment, anything like that, I have to write it down and then come home and download it.

Ahh the wonders of multi-billion dollar companies!

Talk about short sighted (or is that short sited)! We are not a multi-billion dollar company, but everyone has access to the net. Of course, I trust my people. Do some of them visit non-business related sites - sure, but mostly at lunch. And the payback from access to all of the documents and info overwhelms any minor "goofing around" time. Besides, God didn't make people that can hammer away continuously for eight or ten hours a day without pause or breaks!

We're the same. Eveyone has access to the net, nothing blocked. But its also like you said, you gotta trust your people, and big companies sometimes have a problem with trusting people...

marksji said:
But its also like you said, you gotta trust your people, and big companies sometimes have a problem with trusting people...
People normally treat other people as they would treat themselves. Maybe this indicates what the people at the top are: not trustworthy :D .

In small companies the boss is used to talking directly to his employees, he gets to know them and in this way gets to thrust them. The other way around is also true: the employees get to know and trust the boss. Or they leave the company ...

Kind regards,