DeviceNet Scanner - Configuring Scanlist

pickerel

Hello all,

I'm trying to find out if it is possible to configure (download scanlist) an out-of-the-box 1769-SDN (AB devicenet scanner module) programatically with RSLogix5000 instead of having to use RSNetWorx for Devicenet.

Thanks for your help.

Why are so many people afraid of a simple little configuration program ?

Eventually, Rockwell intends to make DeviceNet scanlist entries part of the RSLogix 5000 I/O tree, but that day is far in the future.

Recently I saw a technote describing the use of explicit messaging in the 1756-DNB to configure scanlist entries. The AutoConfigure feature is certainly easier to use.

Tell us why you don't want to, or cannot, use RSNetworx.

Ken-

I think it's Bill Gates' fault. Today you can stick a new PCI Ethernet card into your computer and be on a network in 5 minutes with little or no configuration. People look for the same thing in their machinery.

As an OEM I have a little more pragmatic reason. Many of the customers we sell to are lucky to have a screwdriver in their plant, much less a laptop. If I want to use the more powerful, configurable technologies I need to be able to support them. If I don't want that to mean a trip to central Florida in August or central Manitoba in January, I have to make my stuff pretty much plug-n-play. That's one of the reasons Ethernet IP blows my skirt up so high. It has the performance level of most of the other fieldbuses without the configuration baggage.

Keith

Hi Ken, thanks for your quick reply.

Myself I do not have any issue using RSNetworx. I'm currently using it to commission and configure the dnet scanner in one of our product lines for each project that goes out the door. It is pretty straight forward.

We are an OEM that provides UV disinfection solutions for drinking water/waste water applications.

From a customer support perspective, I was trying to find an easy solution for our customers in the event that a devicenet scanner fails in the field and they have to replace it. My thinking was that they would be able to source one locally through their distribution network and the logic in the 1769 processor would configure it automatically.

Currently if it fails they will require having RSNetworx installed at their location or have us configure and expedit the module or we would have to send one of our service techns to their location. We have a rather large number of techs and reps that support our products throughout the world and every license that we have to purchase and support adds to our overhead.