Wonderware InTouch8.0 Popup Screen..

stevenPLC

Hi,

I'm using Wonderware InTouch 8.0 as my HMI, to communicate with PLC.

I have a scenario:

I want to have Control Screen for a few Pumps and Valves. All these Pumps and Valves have similar number of control button in their individual Control Screen. Thus, I would like to have only ONE common Control Screen that can be used for all these Pumps and Valves, instead of having to create many control screens.

So, can any InTouch expert tell me,is there any method (using script or any functions) to implement this?

I have idea of: Using variable Tags in the configurations in the common Control Screen. Then initialise the particular Pump/Valve Tag into the Control Screen variable Tags whenever we want to open the Control Screen for that Pump/Valve.

What script/method can I use to do this?

Thanks...

Haven't used InTouch for about 10 years, so I can't help directly, but check in the Help files whether InTouch has a "Multiplex" feature, like the Siemens ProTool S/W has - this does exactly what you're looking to do. Rather than having to initialise the tags before accessing them, this system uses a so-called Multiplex variable, which is a list of all the possible tags + an index variable which identifies the tag to use.

I'll second what Jeff said - indirect tags are the way to go!

I've used it several times myself in Wonderware 7.X and while I haven't tried it in v 8.X, I'd be surprised if it changed.

Good luck,

Marc

Greetings Steven,

Your application is a great job for "Indirect tags", Each tagname has a dotfield called .name, you may use this in conjunction with one of the scripts types to do it.

Anyway, I'll prepare a small example for you soon.

Last edited:
I love the "indirect" stuff

Example of using Indirect tags in InTouch

First: Define these three tags:

1) Signal_1 “Memory real”

2) Signal_2 “Memory real”

3) Any_signal “Indirect analog”

Second: Place these objects on the a “window”: three sliders and a meter:

1) 1) link the first slider to “signal_1”
2) link the second slider to “signal_2”

3) Link the meter to “Any_signal”

Third: Now to the “Scripts” part:

The main idea is: Any indirect tag can be (yes, I mean it: can be) any other tag with the same type, this means that it will have the same value of any tag at run time.

The script should change the indirect tag “Any_signal” to be (again, I mean it) any of the two defined tags "Signal_1" and "Signal_2"

Let’s assign a key script for doing this.

On Scripts\Key,
Choose F1 and write this script:
Any_signal.name = signal_1.name;

Do the same thing for F2, and write this script:

Any_signal.name = signal_2.name;

Remeber that we linked the indiret tag "Any_signal" to the meter. Now –as you can see- while runtime, when you press F1, the meter will display the value of the first slider (which is linked to “signal_1”) and when you press F2, the meter will display the value of the second slider (which is linked to “signal_2”)

Now, for your application you will -most likley- use other script types, You may build one screen that will pop up when the operator wants to control one of your identical pumps/valves, he may click a button beside the valve symbol on the screen, this will Show your control screen and also activate a special script (like described above).

I hope this can help.

Ayman

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Ayman...Your idea really works.!

Anyway, now I have further scenario..:

What if I would like to open two or more Control Screen at the same time so that I can control 2 or more pumps/valves at the same time? For now, looks like the In Touch will only open 1 screen even if I call the screen more than 1 time.

Any script or method can overcome this??

Thing to remember is that the window you created isn't an 'object'. So you can't have multiple instances of the same window. You would have to create another window and create different indirect tags for that window.