Need help with an Emerson 214 drive

olias

I'll try to keep this simple. I have a system using a Automation Direct PLC controlling an Emerson 214 with an FM2 indexing module.
The PLC is programmed in stages. When it gets to the stage to initialize the drive,the output goes true, which sends 24v to the drive input. The drive should now index, but doesn't. The PLC stage stays true. The drive is getting the 24v. The drive gets both the enable and initialize inputs. The only way I can get the drive to go, is to toggle the PLC output. This problem comes and goes. Anyone have this happen?
Thanks in advance.

I'm not familiar with that drive but does the "enable" and "initilize" both come on at the same time and possibly the initlize beats the enable. That would cause the drives i'm familiar with to not run until "initlize" is cycled off then back on.

Drewcrew6

Wow, that was quick.
Enable is always on. Initialize comes on when stage is true. When drive has completed index, it tells the PLC to go to the next stage.
This problem is intermittent. It works for days, and then it wont.

You find it with the "Initialize" signal ON, BUT, did it turn OFF previously?

And did it turn OFF long enough for the drive to see that it was off?... utoh

Like Drew said, it's probably a timing issue, though not between enable and initialize since you've ruled that one out...

Look into your PLC/drive handshaking logic and/or try adding some short time delays in the PLC program to make sure the drive can recognize the ON and OFF signals.

beerchug

-Eric

Details needed

Are there any other signals besides ENABLE and INITIALIZE that the PLC sends to the drive.

Perhaps you are telling it INITIALIZE and PARK at the same time (at least from the drive's persective).
Perhaps you are telling it to INITIALIZE, with a speed reference of 0.

It's possible to speculate for quite a long time in the absence of facts.

Are you using Incremental or Absolute indexes? Is the Index Initiate
coming on before the Index Select input? Do you have the PowerToolsFM
software for the FM-2 module. If your still stuck post the file and try to help but it sounds like a PLC timing issue.

Bob T

It probably is in PLC timing. However, machine cycles 20 times a minute.I can watch the inputs come on an off. How slow is this drive?
Thanks

If we wern't all crazy, we'd all go insane. :p

The inputs on the FM-2 are fast probably < 1msec. However the software
allows you to enter a debounce(filter) time on the inputs.You must insure that all index select lines are on before an index initiate comes on

Approaching this from another angle, have you double-checked all your wiring for loose connections? I often find that intermittent problems like this are wiring or hardware issues rather than sequence. Of particular interest would be any DC power leads and DC commons.

If this is a critical process and you need to get it fixed immediately, it might be in your best interest to just go ahead and replace ALL the wiring between this drive and everthing else.

I know this approach will not help you identify the exact cause of your problem, but sometimes it can be more important to eliminate it than to identify its source.

Steve

Checked every connection, and every wire. I can watch the inuts come on and off on the drive via my laptop and meter. It takes 1.5 seconds to complete an index (Incremental), so the PLC has 1.5 seconds to send the next index. There is no handshaking. Just a PLC output wired directly to the drives input. And, yes, I have clean voltage.

Olias

On the EN-214 there is a dedicated drive enable input this should be on before any index initiate is turned on (there is a delay after the drive enable comes on and the power section is ready to accept an initiate, exact time I don't know probably less than 1 sec.).

If the system is running, the drive is always enabled.
Heres the sequence of operation:

Switch to initialize gets tripped.

Stage 41/ Release Brake on drive / wired from PLC output to drive input

Stage 42/ Index Drive / wired from PLC to drive input

Back in home D.C. prox comes on / move to Stage 43

Stage 43 / engage Brake

Anything else?

olias