Connecting a SLC 5/03(dh485) to 1400e(dh+). Is it possible?

Russ

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi everyone,
I have a slc 5/03.. and this one uses the dh485 for communication. It currently has a pv 550, also using he dh485 communications....
The customer is interested in replacing the 550 with a 1400e... this 1400e model uses the dh+ for communications... there's no 485 port...
Current thought from the office is to upgrade to 5/03 to a 5/04 and just run blue hose... but I'm wondering if it's possible to just adjust the settings in the 1400e and use dh485... and work up a cable to use the rs232 port?
Is this feasible?

Thanks...
Russ

The wisest thing to do would be to skip the 1400e altogether and get a PanelView Plus.

About the only way you could accomplish what you're planning is with a RIO scanner card (1747-SN) in the SLC and a lot of reprogramming, or with a 1770-KF2 connected to Channel 0, which takes a lot of cash.

hmmmm... well.. would it be cheaper just to pick up a 5/04 instead?
Skip all the interfacing, and cards... just pick up a new processor...

Another thing to consider, the 1400e requires differet software than the standard PV's. You will not be able to "port" your existing application. I would not use a 1400e for a new installation if at all possible, they use a CRT and they give off quite a bit of heat, I have found that they are only good for about 3 years in an industrial application.

What is the customer's motivation for changing?

Last edited:
I agree with you about their lifespan.... plus I'm not a big fan of the 1400e software package... imho the 550 has been working at this site since 96... while another unit just had its 2nd 1400e refurbished because it was failing. (the first one went within a couple of years of startup in 99).
Why not just stick with what works? LOL.... but they now have a 3rd unit on site and they wanted a 1400e on that one too... so they got one.
I do understand their desire to have the same pieces parts on all the units...and while the software for the 550 can't be ported, at least the basic screens on the other units will work with this one.. just need to redo all of the tags... hahahahhaa...