Text Panels OP3, OP7, TD17 or what?

Prince

In my new project I am going to use a text panel instead of normal Alarm Lamps (The number of the Alarms are too much to be manageable by lamps). I checked the routine Siemens types. OP7 is too big for my application. OP3 is exactly What I want but does not support PROFIBUS connection which I am using, I can use TD17 but the panel does not support key commands which may help in our further plans. I wondered if any of the professionals here have used panels of other Brand with the size and features of OP3 and with the PROFIBUS communication ability.
Or
Can anybody help me with an easy way to connect OP3 in to S7-300 PLCs?

all u need is connect it to the mpi port which u must have in any plc
in op3 u have only messages and not alarms , so if u want use it to display alarms u will need to do some programming in the plc to handle the alrms (fifo queue for example)
for td17 as far as i know can work only for s7200

The OP7s I dealt with were less than 6 inches (150mm) square, actually more of a rectangle. They were small but very capable units. I have program examples if you want a copy. It was a paper converter and you could adjust parameters and got alarm messages too.

I have Protool Lite V5.2

Do they support password login for users? I may want to give the users at that level ability to change the parameters but due to our regulations it must be with password protected login.

Protool help
Password hierarchy

During the configuration phase you can assign operator authorization to specific groups. At runtime, individuals can be allocated to one of these groups, as appropriate, and they thus automatically receive the access rights of that group.
ProTool provides hierarchically organized password levels from level 0 to 9. If a user is assigned password level 4, for example, this user is authorized to execute the functions of password levels 0 to 4.

· Password level 0
Password level 0 is the default in ProTool. Use this lowest level in the hierarchy for functions that have little or no effect on the operational sequence. These are generally functions that do not required any input, such as the display of messages. You do not have to enter a password on the operating unit in order to execute functions with password level 0

· Password levels 1 to 8
Assign functions to password levels 1 to 8 according to their importance. Before you execute these functions, the operating unit prompts you to enter a password.

· Password level 9
The authorization to execute functions at password level 9 is granted only to the System Administrator or service engineer. He has access to all the functions of the operating unit.
You define the password of the System Administrator by choosing System ® Settings. The default setting is 100. You can change this setting on the operating unit at runtime.

You can find more information on password administration in the equipment manual for your operating unit.

ProTool Online Help (C) 1999-2000 SIEMENS AG

Hi Prince,

I was in a similar position to you a while back, and decided to go for the TP 177 touch panel instead of a text readout. They can talk on profibus, and even though they are a bit more expensive, they aren't that much more expensive and the extra capabilities are well worth it.

Doug

Thank you very much Mr.doran for the valuable information,

I did check Doug_Adam's suggestion I checked my catalogus and I could not Find TP177, I just Found TP170 Family, The cost was app. the same and the shape was much more desirable (no more a text panel). and of course capable of Profibus communication, It seems very good for the application. But I normally don't have a decent feeling when more features are presented with the same price. Can you give me the exact code number for the product u have used?

Can anybody inform me about draw backs of this device?

Thank you very much for your help;