stuck with slc500 & scanner

tjw

hi all,
i am a bit stuck at present :confused: & was hoping for a few words of wisdom to point me in the right direction
I am using a SLC500 5/04 CPU with a SCANNER card to connect via RIO to a FLEX I/O rack consisting of a FLEX I/O ASB attached to a IR8 (A EIGHT CHANNEL RTD UNIT)
I am using RSLOGIX 500 but I am a bit stuck on how I go about it, I gather i make use of M0 & M1 files to write to & read from the MODULE.
In I/O CONFIG for the scanner i have the following:
SCANNED I/P WORDS 11
SCANNED OUTPUT WORDS 3
IRS# 0
M0 LENGHT 3300
M1 LENGTH 3300
G FILE LENGHT 3.
IN G DATA I HAVE LOGICAL RACK 0 GROUP 0 SET TO 1/4 RACK.
WHEN DOWNLOADED to the cpu i get green leds onSCANNER & ASB but FLASHING GREEN ON THE IR8 MODULE.
i have used the copy instuction to read to & from the module but don't seem to be getting any joy 🙃 so was hoping someone may give me some pointers etc.
o_O o_O
confused Terry

This is really relatively simple, especially if you have a SLC controller with "Series C" firmware that supports the BTW and BTR block-transfer instructions. Those instructions replace the messy copying back and forth from the M0 and M1 files.

If you have nothing else connected to the RIO network except one 1794-ASB and one 1794-IR8, the configuration should be simple. The 1794-ASB should be set up for Rack 00.

You are correct setting up the 1747-SN "G-file" to scan Rack 00, 1/4 Rack. This 1794-IR8 module will appear as the first "slot" (Slot 0) of a "logical rack" of I/O memory.

The 1747-SN scanner can be set up for 4 Words Scanned Input and 4 Words Scanned Output. We're not going to actually use those words in logic, but they need to be accessible in the I/O memory for the block transfers to work.

The basic principle of block transfers with this module is that you need to send a Configuration (consider this an output function, performed by a Block Transfer Write) block when the module powers up, and then send repeated Input block transfer read (BTR) requests to get the RTD data itself.

There are a lot of Knowledgebase documents involving block transfer with the 1747-SN. My favorite is # G18685, which gives a bunch of different examples for alternating, unidirectional, and bidirectional block transfers.

Get the 1794-IR8 User Manual for the exact structure of the configuration block you need to send to it. That's the reason your LED is still flashing to indicate an unconfigured module even after you send a block transfer to it.

hi ken,
thanks for reply but unfortunately cpu has only have series b firmware , so have to use the m files

tj

Last edited:
I don't remeber ever using M files for this RIO application, it is only digital I/O but I just read and write to the logical addresses. Its been working fine for the last 5 years.

I am using a SLC500 5/04 CPU with a SCANNER card to connect via RIO to a FLEX I/O rack consisting of a FLEX I/O ASB attached to a IR8 (A EIGHT CHANNEL RTD UNIT)

The fact that he has analog I/O requires the use of the M files or Block Transfers. I've done this both ways, and the block transfer method is by far the easier method.

If I were you I would consider upgrading the firmware to support block transfers.

Ken

upgrade option looks good , i don't suppose anyone has the chip i could borrow/buy from them?
As i understand once os loaded it can be removed.

tj