Symax model 50

DaveC

Hi all,
I'm a newbie with this technology so please bear with me. I cartake a rather large private property in Australia which (for it's time) would have been techno heaven. The property is kitted out with, among other things, a symax model 50 controller, 3 or 4 expansion modules and a PR-4 programming unit. This system runs a garden lighting system. A bit of overkill I hear you say! Let's say that there is a lot of lights to cover the 17 acres of gardens. My question is, where would i be able to get hold of the symate or winmate software that would allow this system to be reprogrammed?.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
DaveC

Click on the Search button at the top, then search for "symax".
There are several threads on this site about the Model 50. I think Idec made these units and their WindLDR software for their FA-2J PLC will work (not an exact match, but close) for the Model 50. The original Square D software was called SFW50.

Here are a couple of links to some manuals.

http://www.squared.com/us/products/automate.nsf/DocumentsByCategory/67E3F2C993CC72B0852569D7005CB0E0

http://www.idec.com/Products/ENG/PDF/manuals/WindLDRRefManual.pdf

I am not aware of any Windows based software that supports the Square D Sy/Max Model 50. Even though it has the Sy/Max name it is not part of the overall Sy/Max family. The Fast-Soft Square D workshop, Square D WinMate, and Sy/Mate packages do not support the model 50. The firmware of the Model 50 is different than the IDEC version, so their software will not work (though the hardware is compatible). The original DOS based software was called 8010SFW50 and it required a special convertor cable.

Last edited:
Sy/Max Class 8005 modul 50

i had upgrade project for Square D Sy/Max class 8005 modul 50 but i can't download the old program does anybody have a software for that PLC or suggestion

Thanks

i worked wiht several sy-max processors at the job where i leared programing at and the only programing software we had was dos based. no one could find a windows based package for it. sorry i have not seen any around for about 6 years that i would be able to help with. :(

setiawan_dn said:
i had upgrade project for Square D Sy/Max class 8005 modul 50 but i can't download the old program does anybody have a software for that PLC or suggestion

Thanks

IDEC software WinLDR will work for the SYMAX 50. You will need to select model FA2-J.
Here's a link for demo software, it might have a short trial period to do what you need.
http://www.idec.com/usen/productsupport/downloads.html
Also, check this thread for more info, see my post #2:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=32087&highlight=sfw50

setiawan_dn said:
thanks hadji, Square D Sy/Max PLC need a special loader or i can just communicate with PC using RS-422 cable or something?

Be aware that there are several different models of SY/Max PLC. You need Sy/Max MODEL 50 software, you can not use software for any other model.

The Model 50 PLC was built by IDEC specifically for Square D. Square D used special commands in their ladder logic firmware which may not be supported in the IDEC packages.

The Model 50 uses RS-422, so you will need a converter.

Unless you have an extremely high number of I/O points, I cannot believe it is cost effective to support a Model 50 versus replacing it with a new PLC.

I have just uploaded from Sy/max Model 50 plc using Idec windldr on 2 different units. You can do everything with this software.
Only thing you do need is the Fa2J cable.
We are upgrading 2 of these to newer plcs. Getting the old programs out of the old plcs are a time saver.

Symax Model 50 Cable

I have recently aquired a Niobrara Symax Model 50 "smart cable" #SC50S. I have been unable to upload thus far using WinLDR and selecting FA2J. Can anyone help?