Downloading variable table in S7

Johnny T

I was always under the impression that it is impossible to download the symbol file and variable tables to S7 PLC's. However someone today told me that you can download variable tables to 400 series S7 PLC's. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Also, is there any way of transferring the symbol table to PLC's?

Thanks for any info

JT :)

To my knowledge, no the symbol table and the VATs are not downloadable.
They stay on the programming device. Which is why if you upload a program from the PLC into a new project you will not see comments, symbols or local variable names.

Actually, you can download the entire project to the PLC now (including VAT tables and Symbol Tables). You can even download other files such as electrical schematics or documentation, as long as the memory card is big enough. I'm not sure about the 300s, but it's possible with the 400s. From the Simatic Manager, select PLC>Save To Memory Card, or choose "Help".

I had a look at the help files on the S7 version that I am running at home (5.2 sp1) and here's a clip from them. They state that if the PLC is a 31*C, then all project data can be stored on the MMC card.

help.JPG

Paul

Thanks for the info Paul and S7Guy. I've got a 313C-2DP at work so I'll give it a go today...

Thanks again.. interesting info.

Cheers

JT :)

I've got a 4MB MMC on my 317-2 DP (I had to get one to do the firmware update) and I keep everything on it, in addition to the project, all the manuals, handbooks and documentation are there as well.

RMA said:
I've got a 4MB MMC on my 317-2 DP (I had to get one to do the firmware update) and I keep everything on it, in addition to the project, all the manuals, handbooks and documentation are there as well.

This is news to me. Thanks for the info.

I tried it yesterday on a 313-2DP and I couldn't get it to work... however I'll didn't have much time so I'll have another go when I can really sit down and have a tinker...

It would be very handy to be able to store all the symbols etc on the MMC...

Thanks for the advice (as always) :)