PLC Networking

randy

Supporting Member
I would like to network several SLC 5/04 together. I have no experience in networking PLC. What special module should I use and how do you configure to logic? Does A-B website have any examples? I looked but could not find any.

Thanks

Randy M.

Look a little more closely.

There are no special modules for using DH+ networking with the SLC-5/04 controller; the network port is built in to the processor.

The "SLC-500 Modular Processors User Manual" includes an entire chapter (Appendix C) dedicated to the physical wiring of a DH+ network.

It's very, very simple; you daisy-chain a specific type of twinaxial cable between controllers, and add terminating resistors at the physical ends of the daisy chain. Set all of the controllers for unique Node Numbers (through their program files; there are no DIP switches like on the PLC-5) and you're off to the races.

You can read all about the programming of peer-to-peer messages (the MSG instruction) between SLC-5/04 controllers on Data Highway Plus in the Instruction Set Reference for the SLC-500 controllers.

All are available on the A-B website:

Manuals Online