Remote data acquisition options

arefor32

RE: Remote data acquisition options

I have several clients that would like the ability to monitor up to (8) 4-20mA signals, data log, and upload from a remote location via a telephone connection.

I am thinking of using one of the FX/DX/AX models from Yokogawa for data logging but have no idea how to connect via a modem. Yokogawa at one time had an application note with instructions for connecting a 3Com 56k Dial-up router but 3Com has discontinued making the router.

Can anyone recommend a solution for a small data acquisition application?

I have used EOS Research Telemetry units in the past but am looking for a better mouse trap.

Thanks in advance,

Arefor32

I would suggest the using of the siemens s7 200 with the IT communication processor . So you can make a a web page on each satation and browse it with internet explorer for example

You can check also the opto 22 solutions , i know that they have a low cost scada called iodisplay which seems to be efficient but iam not sure about accessing the data remotely via telephone line

Well this will depend of how much data he wants to keep and scan rate , if this is small the data can be stored on the plc

You can consider also using PC access software which can be connected to a remote terminal via modem and let an excel sheet do the logging but again this shall be online

Alslam Alikom Amr,

Greetings arefor32,
I think you should give us more information about your application.

Anyway, If your application can be a PC-based contolled application (i.e. reliablity is not your most important factor)you may use any multi-drop Data acqusition modules (RS485 based)
Check www.adlink.com or www.advantech.com and search by Google

I used Adlink daq modules alot, It comes with OPC/DDE server, ActiveX controls for Visual Studio and VIs for LabView.

Hope this help

I've done remote data acquisition over a phone line with a similar setup, in my case a Honeywell paperless recorder and a Rockwell RADES 9300 dial-up modem/server.

The recorder is installed near the process at the 'process' site. The recorder's Windows software is installed on a PC at the office site. The connection between is the two is a POTS (plain old telephone service) dedicated telephone line, through a Rockwell RADES 9300 modem/server.
The Honeywell recorder acquires the 4-20mA signals. The recorder has an ethernet connection which is connected with a CAT 5 cable to the ethernet router side of the Rockwell unit. The other side of the Rockwell unit is connected to the analog phone line.

The Rockwell unit came with explicit instructions for setting up Windows for a dialup-to-ethernet connection.

Although the primary use for this setup uses the web server on the recorder, which gives a snapshot of current values in a web browser, the link could be used for periodic data downloads with the Honeywell recorder software. Theoretically, it could support realtime, continuous data acquisition, too, but for tank level data tying up a phone line doesn't make a lot of sense.

Dan

arefor32 said:
RE: Remote data acquisition options

I have several clients that would like the ability to monitor up to (8) 4-20mA signals, data log, and upload from a remote location via a telephone connection.

I am thinking of using one of the FX/DX/AX models from Yokogawa for data logging but have no idea how to connect via a modem. Yokogawa at one time had an application note with instructions for connecting a 3Com 56k Dial-up router but 3Com has discontinued making the router.

Can anyone recommend a solution for a small data acquisition application?

I have used EOS Research Telemetry units in the past but am looking for a better mouse trap.

Thanks in advance,

Arefor32

We have one customer where we are using the 30 input version of the Yokogawa DAQ Station (DX). We are using the 3Com dial-up router. It is unfortunate that this router is no longer available. The DAQ Station is a good way of doing data aquisition because it comes with a memory card that stores the data locally but also allows you to dial in to the unit to view or retrieve the data. It is also fairly easy to set up and use right out of the box. I would contact your Yokogawa rep to find out what other alternatives there are to the 3Com.

u can use the archieving options which are available with the new s7 200 cpus like cpu 224xm and memory module

u can read the archieve using a software called explorer , from siemns

which gives u the logged data in csv format

Interesting development. Is Siemen's memory module non-volatile memory, like flash memory, so that data is not lost during power outage?

Is it FIFO, first in, first out, so oldest data is dropped when the memory fills?

Dan