just a small question without relation with PLC

sapoleon

does someone knows the standard colors for identify tubes and tanks containing acid and bases materials?
or where can i find some standards in that area?
i make a research in google, but i didn't find anything... i think i don't know how to look for it :oops:
thanks

(btw, i think they are red and blue, but... )

thanks, i am checking the site now. and i'll check with them what are the regulations.
i just thought, there was something like a rule of thumb in the industry for that purpose.
i'll let you know when i have some more specific answers.

The piping usually specifies the color codes as far as tanks go there are no specifications as long as they are clearly marked with hazard tags. In all languages that you deal with at your site.

The ONLY place I have seen color coding of systems was in US Navy. It worked well there. Valve handles were colored (green for seawater, yellow for diesel, orange for hydraulics, etc etc). Rarely did we paint the piping itself.

I have never understood why the civilian world did not have a similar system. there are a few exceptions of course Red is for fire extinguisher and alarm systems.

I FIRMLY believe in labeling the tanks etc for their content -- here in USA there is a NFPA (I think) hazard warning diamond system
BUT that is designed primarily for firefighters. That is fairly commonly used but for the most part useless for employees - how do you distinguish between sulfuric and nitric acid for instance when they have the same lable.

THe ASME system as mentioned previously and shown by Brady sign company is also good BUT
how do you know what is in two pipes labeled green ie circ water, chill water, are both labeled green - which is which?? --- gotta read the label.

Brady makes great labels by the way -- pricy but you get what you pay for.
Tiz a crazy world we live in.
Dan Bentler

thanks again.
i really didn't expect to recive so much info. (it is very handy in the other side) i mailed the people of the ministery here in israel, i am waiting for an answer from them.
i must apollogize also, if i made some questions out of order, or without much background sometimes, its also because i get them in that way and are not sometimes for me to use (sometimes for collegues). :oops:
sapoleon

elevmike said:
Sapoleon, Your flag under your user name is Argentina???

That's true Mike, but..

His location says "Isreal at the moment"

leitmotif said:
I have never understood why the civilian world did not have a similar system

Dan, British Rail used to use colour coding for it's pipework on diesel locomotives (I assume they still do, but as I left the railway 8 years ago..) Salmon pink for lubricating oil, orange/brown for deisel fuel, dark brown for hydraulic oil, white for air pipes.

Paul

Military aircraft I've worked on had tubing labels with three designations:

1 - The physical name (for those who could read)- Pneu/hyd/oxy/pyro
2 - A multi-color code (for those who could not read)
3 - A symbol (for those who could not read AND were color blind)

And, of course, the 12Yxxxx part number for crew chiefs to reorder the part.

green = oxy
orange = flammable or inflammable (burns)

I've seen purple for halon - can't be right

for the flag, yes.
i am original from argentina, and i am living in israel now for one year and 5 months.
before that, i was in germany for one year also.
and no, i don't know where i would be in the future.
one of the disadvantages of being single.