Ab 1746-OAP12 Query ?

504bloke

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi

I will soon be using one of these cards to control 11 x 115Vac solenoid valves

I will be using MOV's for surge suppression

Should i put 15K 2watt resistors in parallel with the solenoids as AB recommend for limiting the effects of leakage current ?

I normally use OBP 16's or OW8's so am new to this card !

Anything else i should be aware of ?

Customer has informed me that the solenoids are 0.6amps 115vac rated

I looked at the OA16 but these are rated at 0.5amps

The OA8 is 1.0 amp rated but i would need 2 of these cards for the 11 valves

I wont be using the OW16's as the customer needs a switching time faster than 10ms the solid state cards offer faster times than the relays.

I wont know for sure until i have seen the valves as sometimes customers can be wrong!

Have you expierence with the OA8 or OA16 ?

Apart from the current loading and blown fuse capability how do these cards differ ?

I have experience with the OA16, the only difference I noticed in the spec. sheets was the current capacity. You mentioned that 10 ms was too slow, while it is true that the triac cards turn on in about 1 ms, they take around 10-11 ms to turn off. Might be something to consider. Most of the time I try to use all 24VDC controls if possible, except for motor starters and then I use the isolated input and output cards from Spectrum Controls, (only 8 I/O points per card though).