ML1500 Indirect String Move

bernie_carlton

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Is it possible to do an indirectly address copy of strings in the Micrologix 1500. I would go to the AB forum but it's being incredibly slow. I have RSLogix 5.0 installed. I am getting "Element indirection not supported". Would this be a function of my software level? Or is it just not possible?

BadInst.jpg

This problem was discussed on MrPLC.com. Here's an excerpt from a thread there:

"The mov instruction in the ML1500 doesn't support indexed addressing, and the COPy instruction doesn't tolerant different data types. I tried an example that used a loop and indexed COPy instructions, and it verified at the file level, but when I verified the program I got this:
"Error Element level indirection is not supported". You may want to change your data type to integer for storage, and convert it back to String when all the indexed addressing is done. If your string lengths are fixed, it should be fairly easy. Here's a technote on the subject that may help
http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/appl...FE?OpenDocument"

Thanks for the info. Rather than the conversions I decided to brute-force it for the moment. (If the index is zero then copy to string zero, if the index is one then copy to string one etc etc etc.) It's in a subroutine and will only be called once per machine startup. This came from a working SLC5/04 program and didn't think to check this item.