Connecting S7-300 via DP port with Softnet OPC Server

ROW

Hello,

I can't connect to S7-300 (315-2DP) via DP port with Softnet OPC Server. Connecting via MPI port works fine. I use CP5611. I'm following some Siemens manual about connecting to S7 by Profibus and OPC Server, but it doesn't works.
I'd appreciate any suggestions.

More info

Much more info is needed to troubleshoot this problem. What version of Simatic Net and what OS. EG:
Simatic Net V6.0 (Supply date off of CD) and Win2K SP?

When you say one works and one does not, what do you mean. EG:

When I use MPI then every thing seems to configure fine. (did you connect to the OPC Client)

When I use DP S7 Communications then I get configuration erros and my OPC client cannot connect.

More info

I use Softnet version 6.3 at WinXP SP2. I use also OPC Server included in Softnet and OPC Scout as a opc client. When CP5611 and S7 connection for OPC Server are configured to communicate by MPI, everything works correctly: it means that OPC client can read/write data from/to PLC. When I reconnect cable to DP port and change Softnet configuration to PROFIBUS it doesn't work: it means that there is no data exchange between OPC client and PLC (opc quality field is bad). I don't have much experience with Siemens, so maybe I’m making something wrong...

Have you configured the Profibus port on the S7 CPU ?
Default is that it is not connected to a network (= port is shutdown).

Can you go online from the PC via Profibus?
If you dont have STEP7 on the PC, then you can test the connection with the diagnostics either in the "Set PG/PC Interface" utility, or in the "Configuration Console".

JesperMP said:
Have you configured the Profibus port on the S7 CPU ?
Default is that it is not connected to a network (= port is shutdown).

That's a good point Jesper and one that's sometimes overlooked.

JesperMP said:
Can you go online from the PC via Profibus?
If you dont have STEP7 on the PC, then you can test the connection with the diagnostics either in the "Set PG/PC Interface" utility, or in the "Configuration Console".

This might be closer to the fault than, perhaps, you realised Jesper.

ROW,

In the "Set PG/PC Interface" utility, checked to see what you have the CP5611 set as, I reckon that it is set for MPI, if it is, change it to "Auto", then it will connect via MPI or Profibus.

Paul

Actually,
"PG/PC interface" should be set to "internal", and in the Configuration Console it must the CP5611 must be set to "Configured mode". It then takes the configuration from the Hardware Configuration for the project.

I assume that ROW has gotten this part straight as he has gotten the OPC server to work with MPI.

Step 1 is to get "hole thru" to the PLC via Profibus.
Step 2 is to check that all the steps has been taken in configuring the OPC server. It is easy to forget to compile and download in NetPro for example.
Does the Station Configuration Editor report all OK ?

One way to catch all the errors is to include everything in one combined project.
Then the "unspecified connections" can be avoided, and when making a connection in NetPro, it will catch such errors as the port not being enabled.

www.traeger.de

www.traeger.de
The IPS7Link for Siemens S7 300 TCP IP is great
So Bad the IPS7LNK.dll is Protected
with a 10min and a 3hr Time limit

Better than any OPC server

problem update

OK, it is working!

The problem indeed was in not networked DP port.

In this project I’m responsible for SCADA and my college for PLC programming. He couldn’t make proper configuration of PLC, because (as we latter found), he has too old version of Step7 – too old for brand new cpu 315-2DP.

Thank you very much for help.