what's PLC?

Mina

Hi everybody,
I heard about PLC just a week ago.Somebody wants me to do something which is in this category .I don't know anything about it.could somebody give me a good difinition of it?is that something we can work on it on a PC personally?

Cheers
Mina

Go to the top of the page and hit the "Learn PLCs" link.
This should get you started.
It even has a chapter on "What is a PLC?".
I think this is the fastest and best way for you to get the info you want.

We all have to start somewhere.

Doug

Mina,

there are different definitions for the acronym PLC:
  1. Programmable Logic Controller
  2. Power Line Communication
  3. Public Limited Company
Programmable Logic Controller is at the top of my list, because that definition is most important to me. And this is definitely THE place to be if that definition is what you're looking for. In that case Doug gave you the best suggestion towards further actions: the "Learns PLCs" link at the top of this page.

Kind regards,

What is PLCs

HOW aru mina PLCS means programmable logic controllers ,basically they are categorically in the computors familly there are many types of plcs vendors on the market but i find seimens to be ok, but u have got a long way thre are many links on net which teach basics abt seimens just do a search and you will be done
RM
A man confinced against his will is not confinced

Hire a professional to do the job and follow what he is doing so that you can learn from it. Unless you have a couple of years to get the project done and a big budget that allows for mistakes on the way.

Now that - Mr Cande is a stupid question .
Everyone knows what PLC stands for don't they ? I'll give you another clue , that guy is not from Australia.

Now that - Mr Cande is a stupid question .
Mr. unregistered, talk about stupidity. I didn't ask a question, I gave definitions, as was asked for. And about that guy not being from Australia, the thread starter is called Mina, that's a definitely female name in my country, and is indeed from Australia.

So, please explain your remark any further.

Regards,

a PLC is a device used to control equipment, machines..etc...say you have a feeder and you want to control that feeder as to move in a sequence...to do so...you can program a plc to handle the feeder's actuator...this forum discusses PLC that mean Programmable logic controler..(which is used in the industrial field) if this is what you are interseted in learning...then refer to the " learn PLCs" on the top of this page..if not..then do some search on the net to find out what you are looking for..

hope this help.

best regards.

Cande - "guy" is used a a euphamism , secondly , depending on where you come from Mina can be used for both sexes , thirdly , I don't reckon your fault finding skills too much , if you see a flag and assume nationality. Fourthly - I found your implication that my last post was stupid to be unfounded and ignorant - this post is totally ridiculous , "what is a PLC? - you want to vent your ignorance and sarcasm , this is the place to do it , not at people that tried genuinely to give knowledge to others.

Unregistered,

Given the vaugeness of the question, I thought Jean Pierre's response was approperate. What gives???

BTW, what makes you think Mina's not from Aussie-land?

Mina

I though your question was valid. You wanted to know what PLC stood for and asked people who work with PLCs.

If you like working with machinery and processes then this may be what you want to do. The PLCs do the controls ie turn things on and off - that is a VERY VERY basic description of what they can do.

The recomendations to look at LEARN PLC on this web page is a good one. I received a good basic understanding of them.
The next step if you are still interested is get Mr Melores book also available on the web page. Money well spent - I read my bosses copy (I'm frugal) and can say I learned a lot from it.

Can you learn this stuff on your own - DEFINITELY - takes some money and lots of patience with your mistakes and time. IF you do NOT have a good understanding of electricity I do not think you should try it. These things can have enough voltage to be dangerous (depending on configuration).

I tried on my own (I am an electrician) and decided to take some nite classes at a local junior college. Money well spent - I got free use of near stater of art equipment and learned a lot.

Mull this over, read the recommended stuff and come back with more questions. If you want you can private mail me to avoid some of the crasser replies.

Dan Bentler

To me, Mina's question seems to have been adequately adressed by Jean Pierre Vandecandelaere.

For what it's worth, over the years I can't recall any responses from Mr. Vandecandelaer that didn't strike me as thoughtful and useful. I can't recall many responses of late from "unregistered" that didn't strike me as self-serving and juvenile.