Adding a modem

BoxerBrats

Ok looking for info

I have a project wich we have 2 AD plc and a touch screen all networked togather. I want to add a modem so we can connect from the office to view program or make changes. I know this is possible seen it on other applications. Just would like a step in the right direction.

If your network is ethernet and you need to dial-in with POTS (plain old telephone service), the Rockwell's 9300 RADES modem is not only an industrial grade telephone modem but a 3 or 4 port ethernet switch as well.

The function of converting from telephone to ethernet is typically done with what is generically known as a RAS server or a Remote Access Server. It's the box that ISPs used to use when everyone had dialup service - the modem side connected to the telephone service, the ethernet side connected to a network.

The Rockwell device is a RAS server.

Maybe you can make a RAS server out of a modem and a hub, but I'm not the guy who can help you with that.

BoxerBrats,

Which PLC? You can connect to port2 of the 06, 240, 260, 260 and 05 CPUs, You can also connect to some of the 405 cpus but not shure if all, right from the serial port of the USR modem. All you need to do is setup the modem via hyperterminal, and set port two of the CPU to match. No special software needed. Shoot me a PM with your email and I can send you some docs on this.

Regards, Mike.

I am going to change my name to Confused.

The plcs and touchscreen are already connected via Ethernet? To connect with a modem you will need to run wires correct? Then why not just run an Ethernet cable and connect direct?

Ok I get it, this is the 250, 450 and EZTOUCH thing that was for a customer. They are networked using Ethernet and you need to add a modem so you can connect to that ENET network for troubleshooting etc.

I dont think you can do pass thru with AD so connecting to another port on one of the PLCs isnt the solution. I think the ENET end will need a dedicated phone line AND a RAS modem....this assumes the PLC ENET is not connected to the company WAN with the ability to connect to Internet.

Personally I would call AD tech support and see what they suggest.

Last edited:
Good question Ron,

Maybe??? the Enet is a LAN, and the office is remote, like 20 miles away?? If not I'd have to agree with you.