what do I need?

daveford

I am new at this PLC game. I have just picked up an AB SLC500 system for my Zinc line. I have a P2 power supply, an L532 16K processor, an A10 rack with 3 IA16 inputs, 2 OA16 outputs, 1 OB16 output, and a Panelview 600 2711-B6C10 Device Net. Do I need a Scanner and an AIC to make the panelview work? Or can I go direct from the processor to this panelview? I know I need the Panelbuilder software to make it work, but do I need the other items?
I have a 1200E Panelview comming later. It is a 1200E-2711E-T12C6.
Which is the best to use. Appreciate any help to this novice. Thanks.

Wow, a newbee and tackling all this first time out. I am impressed. You really need to get well aquatinted with your local AB distributor and all of their technical experts, because most of their help is free and available when you can schedule it in your facility. Failing that, you really need to get to an AB school on your equipment so that you understand the capability and limitations of what you have or propose to have. Getting anywhere quickly by info from here is going to be sketchy due mainly to your lack of background in this area. For example, the AIC is just a way to extend the DH-485 connection to most SLC-500 processors and whether you use the port on the processor, or on the AIC makes little difference except that when you need to program or monitor the processor with a computer, if you only have one port and it is tied up with a PanelView, you have to unplug the PanelView. There are many challenges awaiting you and not the least of which is the selection of appropriate hardware for your application. Ask as many questions here as possible, but you will have to be very specific for any answers to hit close to your need.

Thank you for the info. I am and have been studying any information I can get my hands on for the last little while so I may be able to keep up with you.
"I am old but have patience."

Being old is not a problem, I am old to, but there is a great deal to learn from scratch and you will indeed need patience. We will help all we can.

I like the AIC+ because I don't want to unplug the Panelview any more than I have to.
This is how I have my connections:

1. 2711-NC14 to HMI PanelView

2. 1761-CBL-PM02 to LaptopSerialPort

3. 1761-CBL-AS03 to SLC 500 RJ485 Port

[font=&quot]4. Switch set to External[/font]

AIC+.jpg