AB mnemonics and next unused

monkeyhead

Hey fellers,

I'm growing fond of typing in AB mnemonics as opposed to dragging and dropping symbols.

for example

/ XIC I:2/4 BST TON T4:1 NXB XIC T4:1/DN OTL O:4/1 BND

it's nice because it prompts for parameters for each of the instructions, but i was curious if there's a hotkey or something that will insert the next unused bit, timer, or whatever? I couldn't dig anything up on it.

In RSLogix, under the Tools tab, click Options and check the box next to "Enable Address Wizard" and the two boxes below that. When you select an XIC, for example and type "b" RSLogix will list the next unused bit and you can hit enter to select that bit address. I don't know what version AB first put that in but I know it's in Version 6.00.00.

thanks rube. i've got 6.something and the next unused feature works fine the way you're describing. i was just wondering if it was possible when you're typing in commands. i'm a keyboard junky and can do stuff a lot faster than with the annoying touchpad on my laptop.

I like the quick key mapping feature. I'll use mnemonics for quick lines of entries but I always get confused w/ the branches.

Monkeyhead, I personally prefer to use the mneumonic editor, however when I want to use the address wizard the only way I have found to do it is to leave a ? as a placeholder in the mnemonic line for the address and then after I have the rung constructed I can go back and insert the address. This mainly applies to internal bits as I do a CSV import of I/O from the drawings with symbols predefined to match the drawing tagname, then I use the symbol in the mnemonic. For example:

XIC PB204 BST TON ? 1 5 NXB XIC ? OTL SOL401 BND

This way I can get the rung structured and constructed fast but then go back and insert the internal addresses.

Last edited: