UL508 Listed Digital Panel Meter

godfrey

I have a requirement to provide and install digital panel meters in a cabinet I am supplying. Specifically, they must be NEMA 4X and UL 508 listed. Does anyone know of a meter that meets these specs?

UL-508 is, in many ways, a scam. Having said that, if you have to meet it you have to meet it. Te only UL-508 listed meters I am aware of are from Otek. I don't think Newark or Simpson or Red Lion have any specifically rated for 508.

What's a feller to do? It used to be that if you use a 24 VDC powered indicator, and protect it with fuses, your 508 inspector should sticker the panel.

UL-508

Having set up a UL-508 Listed panel shop for a fella I "used to work for", I recall the 508 being specific to assembled control panels for a particular purpose. All components in a UL-508 listed panel must bear the "UL" designation (STICKER) or if you are using "UR" components you must de-rate them to 50% of what they are listed for power wise.

To get back to your concern. Just find a Nema4 panel meter and slap it in the panel and hook it up with UL marked wire and proper wire connectors and you should be fine. I think N4 is same as IP65.

Red Lion, OMEGA, Automation Direct, all have several N4 meters...

Good luck

Orn,

I have to disagree, Orn. UL-508 is a prgram set up by Underwriters Laboratories specifically for general purposes control panels. UL-508 listing for components is different from UL recognized components. A UL-508 sticker indicates that the panel conforms to the stadards for wiring, component application, etc. NEMA and UL listing are not at all connected, and NEMA 4 rating doesn't insure compliance with 508 standards.

To qualify as a 508 panel shop the company must demonstrate engineering and building techniques in conformance with the standard, components either 508 listed or UL recognized and applied within guidelines, etc. For custom panels every component used must either be 508 approved or approved by UL for the specific panel shop and identified in their folder. If they want to change a relay manufacturer or model, a fee of around $150 is charged to add it to the folder.

A lot of electrical inspection jurisdictions and a lot of engineers are adding UL-508 labeling to control panels because they think it releives them of responsibility for safety. UL-508 is strictly related to fire and personnel safety. It doesn't address performance, quality, suitability to task, life of components, or appropriateness of the design.