Controlnet confusion

pauly

I have a project where a local rack consisting of cpu, i/o and controlnet card is to be connected to a clients existing remote rack consisting of the same. Can both processors be producers and consumers of tags? Also I have found a good example of a controlnet configuration where the one rack consists of remote i/o only and no processor, but none where there are multiple processors. Any ideas?

Yep, CPU can do both produce and consume tags. Only tags must be different. So Tag "info" cannot be produced in 2 differnet CPUs.
IMHO

Thats one key point of networks, that one CPU can control remote racks with IO and without any CPU.

No explicit problem with both CPU's being producers and consumers. You'd have to look at available bandwidth, connection count etc. etc. (You can have both CPU's producing a tag called info if you want to, Hundikoer's right that it may not be the best idea).

Do you need 2 cpu's? It may be better to use one chassis just for I/O. The ControlLogix model has removed the chassis from the centre of things; I/O may be owned by a CPU in the same chassis, a CPU in another network-connected chassis or, within some pretty rigid guidelines, inputs can be shared by multiple CPU's. Don't assume that 2 cpu's gives you redundancy by the way, it's a bit more complicated than that.

Finally, what about Henson being left out of the team for the first test?:)

Thanks for the replies, the reason for 2 cpu's is a customer spec. The application is a drive panel whereby the drive is normally controlled via a central plc if the comms are healthy etc. and via a local plc if not.
What would be your preferred method of going on-line to controlnet, I have set up a path via the processor and Df1 but I keep getting an error message saying that the interface device did not respond.

My preferred method would be via Ethernet or directly via PCIC cards. I've never seen the error that you got so I can't really offer any specific help. Is the CNB that you're trying to use node 1? If not it's possible that its set above UMAX.