Detecting resin through a Stainless tube

Orn Jonsson

Yo,
(variation of hi y'all).....

I have an application in which a customer wants to mix resin, then pump it to ten molds on a skid, and as soon as the resin has filled each mold, he want to shut off the bleed line on that mold until all molds have been filled.
The bleed line is a stainless steel tubing. Is there a sensor that any of you know of which will sense the presense of liquid in a stainless tube in a non intrusive manner?

I have not tried capacitive proxes, but have used them in the past with teflon PVDF lines successfully.

Later
OJ

NON Intrusive method

How about something along the lines of a clamp on flowmeter. Ultrasonic flow meter, water in pipe = xx fps air = xx fps resin =xx fps etc. sounds good hope it helps.

Im not sure this is what you are looking for but you can give it a try. Im not sure who makes the product but if Im not misstaken Bindicator might just make something for you. It uses RF engery.

Use a temperature switch to detect a change in temperature in the bleed line?
All depends on how fast you need it to react.

J

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback fellars.

I have followed up on some of your ideas....
Turck, and Binmaster both make sensors that may be used to sense through metal but at $1000 a pop (I need 10), it is out of the budget, and they are rather large.

I will attempt to twist the arm of the design team until they allow me to use a teflon line in stead of stainless tubing. That way I can use the ol' capacitive sensing scheeme right on the line wall.

Thanks,

OJ