Allen Bradley MP servo and drive

olias

Anyone have problems with Allen Bradley Drive 2098-DSD-HV220-SE and MPL-B680F-SJ22AA burning up the terminal end or cannon plug of their cable 2090-UXNPBMP-8S03? I have a problem with the fact they have a #8 wire going to a #10 screw on the drive. Now we're starting to burn up servos when the cable starts to fail. Being an OEM, our customer is getting rather annoyed. I won't say what I'm getting.

If I were you, I would contact AB directly or through the distributor where you buy your equipment. AB is not the easiest company to convince that they have a problem, but it can be done. Having anyone here agree with your assessment or give you their own horror stories will possibly help you feel better but little else. Your customer is not going to care how many others have had the same problem. Make AB step up to the problem and deal with it.

Been on the phone with all parties concerned. Basicly, AB is always saying it must be something else. About a year ago, we were having problems with their comm cables, they still refuse to say there was a mfg. problem. We've had GMS on site 3 times, and it always winds up being a cable. We lost any future sales at this customer.
Doom on Me

Olias, I do feel your pain for all that is worth to you. About 10 years back, I was faced with a similar situation but was on the customer site doing a systems start-up and kept burning up small servo motors, that AB and everybody at the motion control division said was all my fault or was utterly impossible. Well, as luck would have it, the regional manager/engineering guy was on site one day when one of his little rare earth motors went up in the prettiest white cloud of smoke that you would ever want to see. He about panicked, since the machine was just sitting there doing nothing and all he could do is holler, "Hit the E-Stop, Hit the E-Stop." I just about fell on the floor laughing at this guys reaction. Needless to say hitting the E-Stop did not good, the motor was already toast by that time and he stood there just looking like he had seen a ghost. I said, "well, now you see what I have been dealing with for the last month". It was only a few weeks later that I got my final set of firmware chips for the GML computer/controller and the problem went away. Seems there was no motor problem, system design problem on my part, or any of the what if things we had all suspected. The firmware revisions had somehow put a bug in the computer that every once in a while the darn thing would over power the motors and it was always when they were just parked and not being commanded to move or anything. AB does not like to have to admit things like that, but they had to that time. But I do feel your pain, I really do!

Thanks Randy. When this machine goes down, everyone is on my case. I have 6 calls in to AB Motion, AB Rep, AB dist. , etc. No one has called back. And all AB wants, is me to throw money at the problem. We have already spent over $50,000 on this project between GMS and parts to "Correct the problem".
I just needed to vent. I brought this problem up at Automation Fair and got strange looks from the reps there.
Thanks again.

I was having a problem with a new system start-up so I contacted my AB distributor for some help. The next day they had the distributor rep. and the local AB rep. in my plant to help resolve the issue. Turns out a 2090 cable was assembled incorrectly by the manufacturer. The following day the same AB rep. showed up with a new cable and even helped install it. Sounds like your AB distributor needs a wake up call.

Actually, my AB Distributor is wonderfull. It's AB thats stonewalling us. Another problem is that we are an OEM in New Jersey and the machine is in Georgia. When I called this morning to start a case # on this problem, all the rep could say was that it must be something we did or that solvents are getting in there. There are no solvents in the plant. And I pay for this abuse?
Stay tuned. I can't wait to see what this costs us.

Not familiar w/ ab but since its screw termnal @ the drive end I'm assuming its a cicrcular (MS style) connecter @ the motor what about making your own cable (it might be hard to get larger gauge wire soldered in) but it might be worth a try. I know on our large Emerson servos we use 6 awg

I disagree with your assessment of your AB distributor. AB is not concerned with one OEM but your local distributor should be. All distributors are not created equal. My distributor would be all over AB to resolve the issue and would not leave my hanging.

Also, in my opinion, never build your own cables for such an application. Even if your an expert cable manufacturer, when AB discovers your not using their cable, every problem will be attributed to the cable and you will never get help until you install an AB cable.

We've solved two problems on seperate machines with AB servo & MP
motors by reducing the auto tuned figure for gain by half !!

k.dougherty said:
Also, in my opinion, never build your own cables for such an application. Even if your an expert cable manufacturer, when AB discovers your not using their cable, every problem will be attributed to the cable and you will never get help until you install an AB cable.

I would normally agree but since he's saying its the cables that are failing, if a "home made" cable held-up then he would have ammunition for AB, and prove to his cust its not his company's fault but AB's (which the cust probably spec'd)