Tags - Compactlogix to RSView

RBergmann

I've an application using a CompactLogix (RSLogix 5000) and PV700+ (RSView). My experience to date using AB is a SLC500 (RSLogix 500) and PV300 (Panelbuilder). What a difference.

I have a few questions:

1. How can a data register (like an N7: type) be used with timers and counters. There doesn't appear to be a method to use the tags as presets with these devices. I tried a MOV command to the tag (adding a .PRE suffix). Since I'm not connected as yet (PC to PLC) I don't know if this works.

2. I cannot get the tags to export from the CompactLogix in a way that they can be imported into RSView. Any suggestions? Note: I've defined all tags as 'Program' tags not 'Controller' tags. Could this be a problem?

3. Communications seem to be a challenge (who woulda guessed). The specification calls for a 'Hirschmann' RS2-4R rail switch. Something tells me that something on this network I'm creating can be configured as a DHCP server.

The application is simple enough if a SLC500 and PV300 was used, but this unit was spec'd for a project where a Mitsubishi is normally installed. I must say that I am impressed with the capabilities that this hardware and software has (even though it's overkill for the application). I have a new opinion of Rockwell.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

... rab

Since you are using a PV+ (and thus I assume RSView ME) I suggest you ditch defining device tags in the PV+ app altogether, you need only define local tags. On your graphic object connections tab just browse directly to the Compact Logix Tag you want in your Compact Logix program. See the online help.

Thanks, Alric ...

I am using RSView Studio which I understand is RSView ME. Where's the graphic objects connections tab?

Any thoughts on using data tags (SINT, INT or DINT) as presets for a Counter or Timer?

... rab

Can you give us some more details about why you want to use the data tags as presets for timers and counters? Will someone be able to change presets from the PanelView Plus?

If this is the case, then, as Alaric said, you can use the CompactLogix tags directly. In fact, if you have the .acd file for the program you are using, you will be able to reference the tags during development even without being connected to the controller.

Rick

Edit: Regarding your question about the connections tab, If you right-click a graphic object and open it's properties window, you will see a connections tab. This is where you can choose the tag you will write to or read (depending on the object you created).

Last edited:
rgurin said:
Can you give us some more details about why you want to use the data tags as presets for timers and counters? Will someone be able to change presets from the PanelView Plus?

Thats a dang good question because it brings up a point:
I rarely write directly to the timer or coutner preset. I usually write to a DINT and then range check the value in the PLC program before I MOV it to a PRE. Granted, RSView32/SE/ME all let you put a range on input values, but I still would rather double check it with the PLC program.

You never know when someone is going to come along and find a way to put in a bad value, esp since our IT guys once made some changes in RSView themselves (yep, scarry as hell! They have no understanding of the process whatsoever, but I was on vacation and some manager (also clueless) wanted it done then and there.)

Darren:
ALT-PRTSCN will copy the current active window image.
CTL-PRTSCN will copy the entire screen.

Last edited:
example..in rung 30 the operator inputs a value in mins..It is stored in function_31 (DINT) I then multiply to get my value in ms and store it in the timer.pre

t.JPG

BTW i was trying to place the screen shot directly in the post..I opened paint and put it there then attached the pic..

Alaric...I use the Max-Min range in PV+..If they try to enter a bad number it is rejected..This machine has 42 functions that can be changed by the operator..Havnt had a problem with bad values yet..

rgurin said:

If this is the case, then, as Alaric said, you can use the CompactLogix tags directly. In fact, if you have the .acd file for the program you are using, you will be able to reference the tags during development even without being connected to the controller.

Rick

Edit: Regarding your question about the connections tab, If you right-click a graphic object and open it's properties window, you will see a connections tab. This is where you can choose the tag you will write to or read (depending on the object you created).
rjurin ...

Yes, I want to enter values in the PanelView that will determine the preset value of the timer or counter.

darrenj ...

I had wondered if I could use a MOV statement to control the preset (similar to your example above with the DEST approach) but since a timer or counter apparently requires a 'hard coded' preset, which one takes precedent? The MOV'd value or the 'hard coded' one? Or is there a way to not commit to a preset?

Alaric ...

"I rarely write directly to the timer or coutner preset. I usually write to a DINT and then range check the value in the PLC program before I MOV it to a PRE. Granted, RSView32/SE/ME all let you put a range on input values, but I still would rather double check it with the PLC program."

As I mentioned in my first post. I am not fluent in AB. I'm just learning some of the terminology that appears to apply to this hardware. My understanding of DINT is only as a 32-bit value (as opposed to SINT and INT) but as I read further, there seems to be another way to look at it.

I would have preferred Mitsubishi components for this project (as we are under the gun and I can cut through all of this rather easily) and learned RSLogix 5000 with what is a very interesting programming approach if I had more time. However this is not the case.

Even at my age (probably one of the more senior programmers on this site), I love to learn.

... rab

There's a good reason to limit check your timer and counter presets with AB SLC and PLC5. (Don't know for sure about clogix.) If you get a negative number in a timer or counter preset it will cause a major fault and shut down your process.

You can MOVe a value or another variable into the timer/counter.pre or .acc and it will replace the "hard-coded" value.

If you directly address the presets with the HMI, I'd suggest you leave behind a clue in your comments for those who look at it later and try to manually adjust them. Having the MOVes makes it self-documenting.

Limit checking in the HMI is okay, but if you do it in the PLC, it's much easier to adjust the limits later on.

RBergmann said:
rjurin ...

but since a timer or counter apparently requires a 'hard coded' preset, which one takes precedent? The MOV'd value or the 'hard coded' one? Or is there a way to not commit to a preset?

... rab

Dont quite understand what you are saying here..If you take your DINT tag that holds the value for your preset then as you say just MOV it to the timer.PRE destination..