Editing AB RS view32

bop

Hi there!We have two different Rs view work station in our plant . The problem is i cannot edit one of the workstation. What i have notice is that it has no RS view Works on it.Do i have to install it with RS view works and if so does it need an actvation disc? Need advise immediately!

You can edit any number of RSView projects on a single copy of RSView Works. The only proviso is that the tag count in the works license must be equal to or greater than the tag count in the run-time projectas.

If you copy the entire rsview project directory from the run-time PC to the PC with the works package, you can edit it there and then transfer it back to the run-time system.

This is a long shot. If your tag usage is low enough you can open your project in 2 hr. demo mode and edit. I don’t remember the maximum tag count for this to work but I have done this on small projects with just the runtime activation.

Bob O.

Bop,

Another option would be to move your RSWorks activation key from the first computer to the other one, do your editing, then move it back (or leave it there if you don't need to make any changes on the first system). This is a little dangerous, because you can get stuck in "limbo", with the activation key unable to load on neither system. This can happen if you have a copy of RSLinx running in the background, and try to move the activation key using the EVMOVE utility.

Last edited:
Bob O said:
This is a long shot. If your tag usage is low enough you can open your project in 2 hr. demo mode and edit. I don’t remember the maximum tag count for this to work but I have done this on small projects with just the runtime activation.

Bob O.
From memory, I think the limit is 35 tags.

What you can also try is to network share the root directory that the activation is on. I have several computers with RSView32 Works but only one activation. (all computers have the runtime activation) When I want to run Works, I share the activation(Works) directory. I think only one can be shared at a time. This only seems to work for RSView32 Works - RSLinx and RSLogix don't. (for me anyway)

Sam