Help MicroLogix beginner

strech

Got my programing done and ready to download. The cable supplied is a 9 pin female.
Not sure how to hook PLC to my laptop. What port? No parallel port on laptop. Any help will be appreciated. Strech

You will need a serial port. If your laptop does not have a serial port then you will require a USB - Serial adaptor. I use both a Keyspan adaptor and ABs own USB9300 adaptor. The Keyspan is much better and IME it has actually been less troublesome (and its 1/3 the price)

See the following Technote at AB's website.
http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/applications/kb/RAKB.nsf/0/939F9633D4F8B6C685256B20006A66F5?OpenDocument
For a Micrologix you will also require RSLinx software. RSLinx lite comes with your RSLogix 500 software. You will need to open RSLinx and configure a driver for the Micrologix. Then make your connection. You can use the auto configure button to find baud rates. AB says you can't auto configure communication through a USB adaptor, but I have never had a problem doing it. Once you are connected to the PLC in RSLinx select RSWho off the tool bar. When you expand the driver tree on the left, you should see your PLC.

Another thing to consider... If you are doing any programming for some of the older software packages, many of them will only accept a certain limited number of com ports(1-4, or sometimes 1-2)... The usb adaptors may or may not automatically assign a com port in this range, depending on your computer's setup. I've just been picking up a small docking station/port replicator for our laptops that don't have serial ports, and it ends up being a lot easier in the long run(but more expensive).