RsView Studio

Dave McGlynn

Is there such a thing in RsView Studio as what used to be known as "global objects" in Panelbuilder32? I looked in the help file, looked on AB's forums, couldn't find any mention of such a thing.

This is the feature where you could right click on an object, and "mark for global selection" then you could place the item on any other screen, and when you modify it on one screen, it would make the SAME changes on the others. One Edit, Multiple screens.

I'm new to Studio, but slowly getting better.. anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks!!

-Dave

No, not really. One thing you need to keep in mind with Studio, is that every single display screen is completely independent. There isn't even any actual global code. Copy and Paste work though, but changes don't propagate.

You can make a sort of global display, to act as a repository for functions (through VBA code) if that would work for you. I always do that, and make the global display a menu-bar type thing on the top of the screen.

You mean objects like Citect's genies and super genies? Now that would be a really cool feature for RSView to have. Alas, no such feature exists in RSView32, or RSViewSE. And while I think RSViewSE has a lot of good features, it is distressingly full of holes, VBA is not even global in SE, thought it is in RSV32. Talk about going backwards. And don't even get me started on how bad RSView's recipe object sucks or its datalogging. Despite all that, I like the product, though I couldn't tell you why. Maybe its because it has always connected to the PLC first time, I've never had the comm hassles with it that I've had with other HMIs.

Sorry for giving a vague answer, but i think that there is a specific way in studio to create a generic display and set the variables for that display on the run e.g. 5 melting tanks to display = 1 display with the tags being interchangable between the 5 tanks. I'm sure studio has a specific way to make this easy for you (avoiding indirect addressing etc.) RSView Studio is a big leap from panelbuilder.

Rdrast - i thought VBA was only available for ViewSE, and ME has no VB at all?

What Dave is asking for is the ability of the Standard PanelView to support the same memory object on multiple pages. It was very handy for two reasons:

1. It made it very easy to edit once, use often.

2. It saved on relatively modest PV memory.

RSView Studio has a proper Library function, and the PV+ has memory to burn, so neither reason to continue with Global Objects (in the old form) existed anymore.

UK Guy..yes this technique is specifically called Parameter passing and can be done to one level deep on RSViewME. Search on "parameter" in the help file.

Very interesting Ken. I specifically asked the Chad Burks about this over a year ago. Can you tell us more details please?

Last edited:
I know that folks hate hearing this, but... "coming soon" !

I used the new Global Objects feature in RSView Studio 4.0 at RSTechED last week. It worked great; the Global Objects show up in a folder just like the Libraries. RSI is planning on shipping a handful of Global Objects with the product that will be similar to the ActiveX faceplates for function blocks today.

I am confused

Ken Answered

And Philip asked a question about kens answer before he had posted ?

Or is it Friday and i have had toooo much too drink ?

Hehe..... It looks like Philip edited his original response, rather than posting a new one....

Last edited: