SLC 5/02 1747-L524 communication help?

Unregistered

U
I'm a newbie trying to connect to the SLC 5/02 using a USB to Serial to 1747 PIC box. I'm running RSLogix 500 and RSLinx 2.41, getting an error stating it can't communicate with the PLC. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance!

1747-PIC linx driver does not work with USB to serial converter.

You can find multiple articles about this in AB KB.
If you have no real serail port, you have to buy 1747-UIC

No it wont. You could try a pcmcia to serial adapter but it may not work. AB makes a USB adapter, 1747-UIC, to replace the PIC.

I have tried a pcmcia to serial with a pic box and have had no success getting it to work. I can;t even get the pic driver to load.

Maybe it is a brand thing .

Has anyone had success?
Drewcrew6

A "PIC Box" will only work with a true built in serial port, not anything added on either by PCMCIA card or USB adapter. AB gets their USB adapter to work by sending it DF1. It then does the protocol and electrical changes necessary from there. The DH485 protocol must work DIRECTLY with the actual COM chip. Any adapters isolate the chip from RSLinx with software by way of Windows.

That's not quite the same thing. DF1 has no problem with many adapters. "Unregistered" and "drewcrew6" are trying to connect via DH485 which has extremely tight timing constraints which is only achievable by direct manipulation of the communication chip.

Someone had told me they saw where someone had the pic box working with a pcmcia serial adapt.

Just curious if someone had heard/found the same.

Drewcrew6