Search on "Descriptions" to find I/O address

jimlew2

This question relates to PLC5 searches in the Find What dialog box.I dont think I am going to be able to do what I want ,but here goes anyway.
Lets say I want to find "I:025 /10 which is "Main Infeed Chip Conveyor Prox" for me at my plant.Of course I dont know this info ahead of my trouble call.Our description editing is not very disciplined and many have been involved with it over the years.Terms like "belt" or "conveyor" are used interchangably.Some have used abbreviations in their descriptions.HPU or Hydraulic pump is an example.We have several 5/30 plc with each having several remote racks.Often I end up scanning through I/O data tables in the "usage" mode and have to step thru to finally find what I am looking for.
I cant seem to get wildcard functions like * or ? to work.I would like to search (in my above example) on "infeed" and "prox" as combined terms,Is there a way to do this.I have tried using different combinations of 2 or 3 words out of "Main Infeed Chip Conveyor Prox" but it always comes back not found.I am correcting the descriptions into a more useful name as I get to them,and more familarity with the plant helps ,but this drives me crazy sometimes when I need to find something in a hurry."Main * ? Prox" or something like that would be nice if there is some way to do it.???.We also have some SLC 5/04 racks here.Are things any better in the RS LOGIX 500 world.I dont have as many problems with that newer part of plant so I havnt had to dig as deeply over there yet.
Thanks for any help guys -Jimlew

PS: What does the S in SLC stand for.I'm guessing sequential but I have never seen it spelled out???

Can't help you with the wildcard search. At best you can go to the database and put them in alphabetical order. That may help somewhat if you have any idea of how it starts. Otherwise export the whole database to a 'CSV' file then search for any descriptors there.

I think SLC = Small Logic Controller. I can't be sure. An actual definition as such doesn't seem to occur at the AB website.