OT: Electrical Panel Cearance

dale1627

I've dug around on OSHA's website and in the NEC but cannot find anywhere that says how much clearance you are required to have around an electrical panel or a control cabinet. Anyone know off hand or where I can find out?

Thanks
Dale

NEC Article 110.26 Spaces about Electrical Equipment.

It basically states depth at 3 or 4 feet..there are 3 conditions.

Width is equal to width of the equipment or 30in. (750mm), whichever is greater.

Height is bacically 6.5 ft or the height of the equipment.

That means 3' clear with the door open.

If you have a 3-1/2' door, then that door has to open all the way.

If you have a pull out rack or a swing out sub panel, you need 3' clear with the rack or panel out.

Dale I have been involved in a situation where production (management) would stack material in front of panels and basically refuse to move it for a variety of reasons. One particular situation I refused to work in a panel because I could open the door approximately half way. Management told the mechanic to do it and I was to go home. The mechanic was electrocuted (non-fatal) and was transported by ambulance to the hospital. I want go into details of what happened afterwards except to say I was blamed initially. In the end though "barriers" were placed about 6 feet in front of the cabinets.

There are also restrictions to the distance they can be from any water source, eye wash, sinks, water fountains etc. I can not remember the code for that but will try and look it up.

If you read table 110.26 A 1 it really states that you need either 3 or 3 1/2 or 4. For most applications, I find 3 feet is the requirement, but during installtions, I find the 42" to be the more applicable part. This usually involves installing a cabinet with a 480 Volt feed and located on a machine where the entire machine is considered a grounded surface. Unfortunately, most people only state the 3 foot rule and usually ignore the 3 1/2 condition.

Another place to look is NFPA 70E (standard for electrical safety in the workplace) the source of lock-out/tag-out and arc flashrequirements. OSHA loves it when companies ignore this one and injuries happen.

Also, just to be picky, electrocution means death from an electrical shock. Your co-worker received a severe electrical shock.

Osha -nec Regulations

Working space at least 30 Inches wide, 78 Inches High.

Keep area in front of electrical panel clear of a grounded surface!

For 150 Volts or less, frontal clearance must be 36 inches.

Above 150 volts, frontal clearance must be 42 Inches and 48 Inches from another enclosure.