Light Sensor

craigsimon

I am designing a test box that will do a functionality test on incandescant lamp fixtures. I am looking for an "off-the-shelf" light sensor. This could be either 24VDC or 115VAC. I can build one myself and already had my 11 yr old son build one with his Radio Shack electronic kit. He was excited about making something that I could use at work, but my superiors would like to me to find an "off-the-shelf" sensor.

All of the sensors that I found are used in the outdoor lighting market and they all have delays built into them for on & off. I am looking for a sensor that would change states within a second.

Any help or direction would be appreciated.

Thanks

I don't know if this will work or not but maybe a receiving unit from a through-beam photoeye will work. Since the sending unit is little more than a "lamp", you might be able to find one that can detect the incandescent light.

Try calling the various photoeye vendors like Keyence, Omron, Banner, etc. and see what they say.

Let us know what you find. You never know, this could be useful to the rest of us somewhere down the road....

Steve

Most through-beam receivers are designed to recieve only the light from their matched transmitter. This is to help prevent triggering by incident light like incadescent or flourescent. But this is exactly the type of light he wishes to detect. Could be tricky.

What are we testing here, the light fixture or the light ouput of a light bulb? With the real purpose of the test in mind I would suggest an entierly different approach: Meter the current flow in and out of the fuxture in the test stand. This will provide you the necessary functional test and also check for ground faults.

Why is a basic continutity and insulation check with a megger insufficient?

Yes, I can test the current draw and will be testing the current flow through an additional outlet anyway, but we would like to test the light itself. We might end up testing the current draw. I have made a simple circuit on my desk that works, but it is not industrialized. The lux meters are to big, to expensize, and just an overkill. Looking for something simple.

Thanks Ron, I will look into the Solar product and see if I can use it. By the way, I will need to get the sensor ouptu into a small PLC, either by anaolg or by discrete, whichever works beter.

Thanks,

I looked into Banner and must have missed them. I will read up on the literature and make sure this will work.

Thanks again

craigsimon said:
I will read up on the literature and make sure this will work.
Realize that they also have the SBAR1GHF which has a fiber lens cover. It's right below the standard one on page 14 of the PDF. This might be a better option if you need a small 'remote' head... :cool:

🍻

-Eric